Neptune Aquatics

Leemar Starphire 290

:bigsmile: I just don't have the patience and dilligence of Gimmito! I'm more of a...........I WANT IT YESTERDAY!!! kinda guy. ;)

Very pleased things are going well. I picked up some "Maggie Mufflers" from Robert the other day, so will give those a try to see about decreasing the overflow noise. Although I am already very used to it, and it doesn't seem as loud as it was.

I have been taking video of the progress, however I have to sit down and edit it all. I tried some narration, so we will see if it makes the cut. LOL! I seem to be getting some micro bubbles, so I will get some sort of sponge to put in the media tray and see if I can't catch some of those. I will also see if I need to adjust the skimmer to keep them out. My guess is it is just part of the break in period.

Lot's of brown Algae today. Snails are happy and I will order a big cleaner pack in the next few days. I really want to get through the weekend before I feel comfortable that the tank is not gonna go nuts on me.

Today's values...2/24/2012
Nitrate = approx 10ppm
Nitrite = 0ppm
Amonia =

Busy weekend......

I had several things on my list to get done this weekend. I got most of it done.

First was to quiet the overflow. I was able to add two "Maggie Mufflers" which helped me raise the water level in the overflow. The way it is set up, there is no secondary barrier once the water goes through the teeth. So it is a free fall and makes it sound like a waterfall. Once the level was raised, it is very quiet. However..........the mufflers caused a very annoying Gurgle. I had seen a few people using tubing to get the air intake lower in the drain, so I tried it. I drilled the two pre-drilled holes in the muffler a bit bigger to accomodate air tubing I had lying around. I made them very long to reach to the bottom, however ended up raising them a few inches from the bottom for the best result. This worked VERY well. I did have to drill a third small hole to prevent the "toilet flush effect" that was happening about every 1/2 hour. So far so good. Very quiet and this makes me VERY happy!!

Took some pics
WHAT A MESS!!!
IMG_1911.jpg

Lovin the skimmer. Working very hard for me. ;)
IMG_1912.jpg

Changed out the light with my 36" from the 65 gallon. 2 actinic 96w power compacts and 150W metal halide. The MH just went off before I took the pic. Thus the dark spot. LOL!
IMG_1935.jpg

And a few of the corals moved from the 65.......
Cup coral......approx 4-5" accross. Had it for many years.
IMG_1931.jpg

Frogspawn.......started with 1 head about 3 years ago. Now about 12 heads. One of my favorite corals.
IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

Got a bit fed up with the algae issues on my 65 gallon.........had the GFO running for about 5 weeks and it was still getting worse. Several large water changes, etc, etc, etc. LOL! I'm ready to cook the Hell out of that rock!! Anyway, I moved a couple pieces that were being overtaken by the algae and ended up moving the whole thing. No fish though. Hope I don't regret it. :~

Moved the GFO / Carbon reactor over to the new tank and excited to see if it keeps my phosphates moving in the right direction. Did a water change on the big tank today and happy to report the fish are all lookin good. I will take a video in the next week sometime and get it up.

Todays params...
Nitrate = approx 5ppm
Nitrite = 0ppm
Amonia =

I am dealing with some phosphate issues myself. I am testing everyday and can tell pretty accurately when the GFO is used up, but I also test the effluent from the reactor every few days, and when it stops giving a lower value than the tank, I go ahead and change everything out. Gonna have to give in and get a hanna checker soon i think.

In the span of my "unread posts" on your thread you went from waiting for your tank, to plumbing, to filling, to scaping, to corals and fish. Damn that was quick. Or is it just that other big tank owners take so long?

Thanks everyone.

Arnold, you are absolutly right, I have a tuxedo Urchin that is AMAZING, however I have been switching it from my 30 gallon to the 65......I thought about getting another, however really don't want 2 in the new tank. Just don't think there will be enough for 2 to eat as the new one is going to have much lower phosphates (at least that is the plan....HA). It is keeping the 30 in check very nicely though. ;)

@Jim, there is actually NO Amonia. The test kit only goes as low as to show

Keep up the good work!

Kmooresf said:
Busy weekend......

IMG_1939.jpg

LOOK out for those green palys.
They tried to take over my tank!
I thought I got rid of them and a few more have popped up in a couple places.
Given good conditions they seep to outgrow just about anything.

Thanks Jar, I will keep an eye out. The Brown polyps in the back are actually the same polyps. LOL! They were in the 65G and being constantly picked on by my Pygmy angel. Maybe I will put that group in the sand for easy removal if they get out of hand. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks Levi!

I have a new edition to the tank. I had been whining a bit because liveaquaria has had a couple really nice rabbit fish recently and I am not ready for a new fish yet. They had a beautiful Magnificent foxface that came and went.........then the other day I saw a great little gold spot rabbit fish that I had mentioned would be a really cool one to have. Well my partner listened. I made an order for some reef cleaners......snails and hermits..........they arrived today and to my surprise my partner had also ordered me the rabbit fish. It's a bit premature to add a new fish, but what the hell. LOL! So I made a quick video for ya. It also shows the tank and YES.........I narrated. LOL! Although beware........I am a mumbler, so I hope you can understand me. Enjoy.

[youtube]zb3XSnn0wNI[/YouTube]

Back