Jestersix

Leemar Starphire 290

yeah what's the time frame on some of those growths? "This is a frag at the swap, here's the 6 inch wide colony 2 weeks later after dosing with whale urine and butter""

How did you find my secret recipe?? It's difficult to find Whale urine these days!

Uhhhhhh, let's see.

Blue Tenuis........first shot was April 2012...........Next was November 13, 2013

Tri color acro..........first shot was July 2012...........November 13, 2013

Cali Torte.........first shot was July 2012.........and again November 13, 2013

Yellow / green acro.........first shot was February 2013............November 13, 2013.

This is perhaps the most notable change..........also a tri-color, but a different one.

July 2012

November 14, 2013

Some coral progression shots.

Blue Tenuis coral.

Same coral today

Tri Color Acro

Same coral today

Cali Torte......I tried to kill this one a few times.

Finally taking off.

Yellow / green Acro. Didn't do much for a very long time.

Now starting to take off.
These are all gorgeous! The colors are what I want to fill my tank with (blues, greens & purples).

Pocillipora given by Arnold (Apon). This thing has amazing color!

Close up of a Tri Color tips.

Rasberry Lemonade Acro given by Bob (tankguy). The color doesn't come through in the pic. Has a very faint yellow to the skin.......especially under actinic. Polyps have a very maroon color.
OMG! I am in LOVE.

Cool, some people actually like my coral. Maybe I should name it and then start selling it.:D I bought some to the swap, don't know who took them though.

That Pocillipora actually colors up well in med light...and it grows on the overflow walls of my tank. Very Hardy... Damn weed. :p I want to see it in your tank since your Water Quality should be much better than mine. I want to see its true pontentail Kris!:cool:

Yeah Pocillipora seems to be the one coral I've never killed off, while I have killed parts of a colony always have had it in my tank in some way. Plus it's one of the few corals that actually spawns successfully, as I've had it growing elsewhere in the aquarium where I never put it.

Cool, some people actually like my coral. Maybe I should name it and then start selling it.:D I bought some to the swap, don't know who took them though.

That Pocillipora actually colors up well in med light...and it grows on the overflow walls of my tank. Very Hardy... Damn weed. :p I want to see it in your tank since your Water Quality should be much better than mine. I want to see its true pontentail Kris!:cool:

i think i picked one up! are you the one that wrote with blue-ink? Wasn't sure who it came from; I don't recall if there was a name on the label either.

You absolutely should Arnold! LOL! I am horrible at naming anything (example: my handle)

I currently have this under REALLY HIGH light. So far it is holding it's color and looking good. I will watch it for fading or bleaching though and move if necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Dee Anne!!! You will have to come by some time and grab some frags.
That sounds like a plan! But I think need to upgrade my lights first. I borrowed BARs parameter yesterday and found that my light isn't as good as I was hoping. There are very few areas (like inches) with a par reading greater than 350. :(

That sounds like a plan! But I think need to upgrade my lights first. I borrowed BARs parameter yesterday and found that my light isn't as good as I was hoping. There are very few areas (like inches) with a par reading greater than 350. :(

I don't know much about Parr, but I thought 350 was pretty good. Do you have LED's? If I understand correctly, Parr can be a bit misleading with LED's. I have never checked the Parr on my tank though, so I'm not sure.

With that said, I have a crapload of light over the tank, so you may be right if you want to keep certain SPS. I actually have trouble with LPS because of too much light. They get stuck in the back corners. Which is a bummer, because they can have some of the best coloration.

I do have a couple of "test" SPS sticks in my tank now. If they do okay then I will definitely take you up on your offer. If not, I may buy a second light. Thanks for the idea. :)

Last edited:
Hmmm those are interesting numbers from Melev... apparently my 160W LED setup is more powerful than his 400 watt Radium.

Wish I took more data in the tank, I basically took it at the bottom and the top both with and without lenses and at a couple coral locations. Granted his MH bulbs probably have much greater spread than my LEDs but still it was interesting.

That said, corals stayed alive on the bottom of my tank when I did have lenses on, and they were in PAR values of 100-120, hell even have an acropora frag that has been growing. That said it's probably no where near as fast growing if the light was stronger, but enough to keep it alive and keep color. LED lights can be hit or miss as far as keeping color, but then again so can metal halide bulbs.

I have made a few modifications to the light canopy..................

With the help of Dan (Tr1gger) and another buddy, I added two more Kessils. One was the A350w from the frag tank, and the other a new A360w that I won from kessil. They are centered over the back section on each side of the overflow. I have lot's of space for more acro's, but am not getting the same growth that I do in the front of the tank...closer to the Kessil narrows. I am hoping, since I am getting some growth, that the added wides will suppliment just enough to give them a boost. I have already noticed the Chalice's are starting to change color with the additional light. I'm not sure it's a good thing yet. They may need to get moved again. :( But the SPS seem to be loving it. Brightens up the tank as well.

Speaking of BRIGHT tanks.........

I also came up with a Some aluminum sheet metal shades for the Kessils. The light spill over the tank and in my eyes was bugging the crap out of me. So This was an easy fix, and WOW!! I am SO glad that I did. Tank looks high def now. Really big change IMO. With the two new kessils I have over 800 watts of LED over the tank now. So the shades turned out to be a big help.

I saw your post about modifying the canopy, and really didn't think I was at the current post. Again!?! I'll have to come check it out again soon. Been awhile.

Back