High Tide Aquatics

Leemar Starphire 290

I get the privilege of seeing this tank quite often. Pictures are nice, but nothing beats sitting on the couch with a coffee (or beer depending on the time or day [emoji482]) and just losing yourself in this tank. Never disappointed. Keep up the good work dude!

Awesome Kris! I went through all the pests too! It keeps things interesting :)It looks like the Zebrasoma desjardini is doing well :)

Thanks man, that fish is beautiful. He is one of the gang now........they graze back and forth in a line all day. Fun to watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey foks!!

Life has been BUSY this past year. Tank is hangin in there, but I have had a few major problems in the past couple months........

So the flat worm situation seems under control, which I am VERY happy about. I had a couple corals that were quite infested, but I haven't seen any sign of them since. I had lost my mellanarus wrasse.........I believe to OVER feading on the worms (I assume) and shortly after started seeing the problems. I dipped as many corals that I could get out of the tank and only saw them on the original few. So I replaced the mellanarus.....added several other wrasses including two 6 line's. They are quite amazing, and fun to watch. I was worried about putting two of them in the same tank, however they are pals, and swim the length of the tank together. It's fun to see them get right in the middle of some of the large acro colonies.

So with that under control, I started noticing some tissue recession in the tips of a couple of my acro's. Specifically my two large tenious colonies (one blue and one green). These have always been two of my most hardy Acro's, so I was baffled. I checked my Alk, and it was 13.5........Whoa! It had been about a week since I had checked it (the new schedule has me all messed up, and not being diligent on these things). I did a big water change and didn't notice anything else off. The calcium reactor seemed to be ok, I haven't been dosing, etc, etc. So a few days later it seems to be continuing. Checked the Alk again..........7.8????? What the hell?

Turns out the CO2 had emptied...........got the tank replaced (It's a 20lb, so it had been 8 months since I had it filled). Got everything back online...........added some buffer.....Mag was 1250ish, so added a little just in case. Came home from work a few days later and noticed the tank looked cloudy........Did my usual walk around and found the Calcium reactor had dropped to 4.5 on the PH and the media was melting. CRAP!! Turned everything off. Drained the reactor, started making more water for a change, and tried to figure out what went wrong. Turned out the return from the reactor had clogged.......causing the water in the chamber to keep re-circulating and continued adding CO2. Not sure why my controller didn't shut off the CO2 like it is supposed to.

So, I cleaned up the mess........been doing more water changes. Being better about checking all the params more regularly again. I am finally starting to see some new growth on the corals. Yesterday I re-arranged several things, cleaned, water change and everything seems to be back on track (I hope). It's ALWAY'S something. ;)

The tenious are still not looking great, a deepwater acro had some tissue loss, as well as one of my Torte's. The LPS are LOVING whatever has been going on, so I guess that is a plus.

The other issue has been phosphates. I haven't been good about changing my GFO, or trimming the Chaeto. The chaeto had almost filled the sump, so it is cut back, and the GFO is now changed. Expecting a little stress from a probable large drop in Phosphate. I normally see it around .03-.07. It was .13 this week........... oops.

Ok, there it is. I am starting to get used to the new schedule, and getting back to some regular routines.......The tank needs to become a priority again, cause it's beautiful and took a LOT of hard work. Once I get some new growth from most of the corals, I'll take some more pics and a vid. Hope you are all doing well.

Moved the clam yesterday, so here is a pic. Take it easy,

Kris.

Kris,

That sucks all the issues that you were having and I am glad you have them under control again...Time always has a way of interfering with our hobby....I find myself having having to get myself back on track every now & them.

I have a question on what type of a controller are you using?

Good to see you posting again!

I'm never sure how to interpret your 'my tanks not doing well' posts. Your tank at it's worst looks better than most!

Sounds like you've got control over all the issues and I'm sure the tank will be back to spectacular in no time.

Kris,

That sucks all the issues that you were having and I am glad you have them under control again...Time always has a way of interfering with our hobby....I find myself having having to get myself back on track every now & them.

I have a question on what type of a controller are you using?

Yes, time sucks. LOL!
You would think that someone who invested heavily in his tank financially, and has all kinds of do dads for filtration and such, would have a killer controller. ......... You would think.

All I have is a PH controller from pinpoint. It is kind of basic, yet INSANELY difficult to program. It is supposed to have a high setting and low setting. The PH gets too low, it shuts itself off. Well, it didn't work this time, however it did the time before. I am sure it is operator error, but I am annoyed at how difficult they made it to program such a simple idea.

I do not have a full tank controller that would send me emails or texts about such issues. Cause that would just make sense. :eek:

Go figure.

I use a Neptune Apex and I have a VO (virtual outlets) programmed to let me know if my CO tank is out of gas, if the pH in the reactor is out of spec and if my effluent dip rate is reduced (aka is clogged)...It has helped me a couple times...

I used to use a Milwaukee controller but YES they are a pain in the A$$ to get correct...lol

Good to see you posting again!

I'm never sure how to interpret your 'my tanks not doing well' posts. Your tank at it's worst looks better than most!

Sounds like you've got control over all the issues and I'm sure the tank will be back to spectacular in no time.

Hi John,

This is my way of shaming myself into taking better care of the tank. I have been very fortunate with this tank........yes, it has taken a lot of work, but having such a giant is also more forgiving than smaller tanks. So I get away with more. But I never forget that disaster is just around the corner if I don't pay attention, and I have been dangerously close to disaster a few times lately.

However........... when I allow myself to look at the entire tank..... not just the problems, I am overwhelmed with joy. I am very proud of it despite my mild (ok, maybe moderate) OCD!! ;)

I use a Neptune Apex and I have a VO (virtual outlets) programmed to let me know if my CO tank is out of gas, if the pH in the reactor is out of spec and if my effluent dip rate is reduced (aka is clogged)...It has helped me a couple times...

I used to use a Milwaukee controller but YES they are a pain in the A$$ to get correct...lol

Nice, thx for the info. I need to do it, but get caught up in other things. Maybe soon. ;)

Nice, thx for the info. I need to do it, but get caught up in other things. Maybe soon. ;)

They are pricey but worth it IMO....

If you get a Apex, hit me up and I will help you setup the VOs for the Ca Reactor and anything else that I can help with the controller....:cool:

With a shameless derailment of the thread...

How do you do that? Are you relating all those events with pH in either the CR or the effluent?

And somewhat back on track...

Kris, you don't have a controller! I'm like, o_O! They are so useful.

With a shameless derailment of the thread...

How do you do that? Are you relating all those events with pH in either the CR or the effluent?

And somewhat back on track...

Kris, you don't have a controller! I'm like, o_O! They are so useful.

Kris sorry for the derailment for Johns @aqua-nut question....lol

To tell me that the CO tank is empty:
I have found the my CO solenoid turns on & off every 2-8 min so I have an outlet set up to turn on if my CO2 solenoid outlet stays "ON" for longer then 10 minutes it will turn on and send me an email and text saying that I need to see if the CO tank is low or why is pH not dropping due to the CO being pumped into the reactor.

To tell me that the effluent flow is slowed down or clogged:
It is the same as above but I have outlet tell me if the CO2 solenoid stays "OFF" for longer then 10 min...it will send me an text and email. If the effluent flow is reduced due to a clog then the pH in the reactor does not drop at its normal rate so the solenoid does not open or turn "ON" letting me know there is an issue with the flow of the reactor...

To tell me if the pH in the reactor is out of the normal ranges that I set:
The last thing I have is an alarm if my pH is higher or lower for 10 min or longer in the reactor from the set value I assigned I will get a email & text message.

pH graph.PNG

Back to the tank on hand Kris's beautiful tank!!!

Last edited:
I just won an apex at nvr swap yesterday...but I have the most low tech tank. Good to hear your tank is ok still. Did my coral make it?

Back