Leemar Starphire 290

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Kmooresf, Dec 9, 2011.

1. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

This true, the short height leads to a small gallon number which is a bit decieving

Out of curiosity, do algae blennies actually eat algae?

2. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Hair algae yes ime

3. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

Yes Mike (1st one ) I see mine eating all the time. But its not me going to a killer steak house and stuffing myself. Its more like grazing on it all day

Kmooresf likes this.
  4. sfsuphysics

See I always assumed they weren't actually eating the algae, only the little critters (pods and what not) that tend to live in said algae.

You back Mike?

5. Kmooresf

Kmooresf Supporting Member

Mine makes a perfect little kiss mark all over my tank. He is FAT!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coral reefer likes this.
  6. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

A fat vegan??

7. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Not yet. Back Thursday night

8. sfsuphysics

Ok, your fish are still alive and fed :D

Coral reefer likes this.
  9. Kmooresf

It is actually a Starry Blenny. I was just looking for a picture and realized It's not a true algae blenny. I'll see if I can make the new guy fat. LOL!

10. Kmooresf

Finally finished the frag tank project. NO LEAKS!!!! WOO HOO!!

Had to get a bit creative with the plumbing. I had bought the tank over a year ago (possibly two), but I just knew it would fit in the space. I hadn't really come up with a plan at that time.

Well the tank fit, but the plumbing didn't. :( Ended up with the drain on the side / front of the tank. Kinda turned out cool though. Decided to use colored PVC to spice it up a bit. Pretty happy with the tank overall.

Also decided to get an AP700, instead of two A360WE's. Pretty impressive light. I can only get it 11 inches off the water with the hanging kit, but it seems to cover pretty well. I haven't tried the wifi yet.

I used an old Rio 3100 for the return pump. It's also an impressive pump. It's moving a lot of water in the tank, don't really need a power head yet. I will add one when I get more stuff in the tank.

Eventually I will make some doors for the stand. Just didn't feel like dealing with them yet.

Probably going to add sand and some rubble. My last frag tank was bare bottom, but It was covered in coralline and eventually aptasia. I also prefer the sand look to bare bottom.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

Hey K-man
    Looking lovely
    If I may...
    Loose the rio for a sicce
    Too moch loose electricity from those old powerheads

Coral reefer likes this.
  12. Kmooresf

Thanks Erin. This was a pump I have mixed water with for years, so I agree it needs to be replaced. Thanks for the heads up...........I'll deal with it sooner than later.

13. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

@rygh mixed up sand and epoxy so you get the look of sand but can be cleaned like a bare bottom.

14. neuro

neuro Webmaster

Absolutely beautiful

15. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

The talk of Mike's eel has made me think...didn't you have a dwarf yellow eel in there?
    Or was that just a brain fart on my part!!

16. Kmooresf

Yup. I had a large snowflake from my FOWLR that I had for about 7 years. It was breaking coral cause of it's size. Gave it away. Then got the dwarf golden Moray that did great for a long time. Didn't see it much, unless it was feeding time. Not sure why, but it stopped eating. It had to be fed with tongs anyway, but it just stopped taking the food. Ended up dying. It did well for over a year.....not sure what happened. I'm not gonna get another though.........very difficult to get into the tank with tongs........I end up breaking things. The clown also bites, and I jump, and break more things. LOL!

17. Kmooresf

So all of this was just what I had sitting on the sand, or tucked in corners of the tank. Nice to finally have room to grow stuff out. I still have quite a few things I want out of the tank. I just want to keep the sand clean and open.

[​IMG]

18. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

What is that ginormous colony on the right? Hammer?

19. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I think it looks like frog spawn.

Kmooresf likes this.
  20. Kmooresf

Frog spawn. It took up more than half of my last frag tank. LOL!