High Tide Aquatics

Left menu?

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Is there any way to remove the left menu? Its a lot of information that IMO I don't need, plus it makes the actual reason I visit the message board (the messages) a bit cramped. I dunno maybe some of you are running really large resolution desktops so it's not a big deal.

I hadn't thought about it but it does squeeze things in a bit. Not a big deal to me since I have a wider screen on my laptop.

Yeah I figured Erin being in the job that she is had 3- 26" widescreen monitors as her desktop and might not notice it :D

Didn't even realize about the width changing of the page until I saw some pictures overlapping the "message area" and realized the browser window also compacted things.

Plus when the messages are listed in a table format, it makes each message subject multiple lines.

It's not easy to do, but it's something I can look at in the future. One concern is that it would hamper site navigation, since you'd no longer be able to go directly to other parts of the site. That's also where we show who's in chat, and it's necessary for that to be a bit in your face in order for people to realize that the chat room isn't empty.

Part of the problem with the images going off the right is that the resizing codes from old posts don't work now, due to differences in how bbcode is interpreted.

Other people have requested it too, though, so it's definitely something I'll look at when I get to working on the visual design iteration a bit down the road.

FYI: I have a 30" and a 20" monitor at work, but at home I use a 13" macbook!

sfsuphysics said:
Is there any way to remove the left menu? Its a lot of information that IMO I don't need, plus it makes the actual reason I visit the message board (the messages) a bit cramped. I dunno maybe some of you are running really large resolution desktops so it's not a big deal.
And Mike would like his avatar on the right.
(just a little o/t RDO humor)

Erin you are doing a great job at getting the new site up and running and mowing down the problems. I know what you mean about making certain features work on the site. I have dealt with stuff like that in the past.

I also run a 13 inch macbook at home but don't have a luxury to have a bigger screen just a 15 inch sony first generation LCD monitor with DVI.

A suggestion might be to make the left menu collapsable and the whose online list floating window on the top. This way its not to in your face and yet easy to make disappear. The whose online window can be made horizontal.

bookfish said:
sfsuphysics said:
And Mike would like his avatar on the right.
(just a little o/t RDO humor)
HA! I challenge you to find a message board where I have an avatar ;)

I like the collapsible menu idea, a "just go away already" button, or maybe have it along the top of the screen somehow, so it doesn't upset the width of the screen, as soon as you scroll down it's gone.

Three of my usual forums all swapped to new software at nearly the same time. friggin conspiracy if you ask me! First the dang 3rd grade teacher made me choose which hand I was (ambidextrous at the time) now it's all LEFT and not RIGHT :( OK OK I get the hint, I will move to Japan :p

I would love to collapse that menu if at all possible. I do run dual 22" monitors at home and work but I do run a small laptop at times.

Any chance of making both the homepage and forum MOBILE friendly for those of us not on IPHONES?

mobile friendly is on the list, and there have been some requests and suggestions about mobile usage, but it's difficult partly because I don't really know what that means and I don't have a mobile internet device. (other than my laptop! :D )

Back