leopard wrasses and mandarin

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by Kremis, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

I have had a blue star leopard wrasse with my mandarin in my 180 gallon for 2 years now. I was wondering if I could get away with adding 2 more female leopards while still having enough pods for the mandarin? The wrasses would be eating prepared foods, and the one that I have now eats like a pig. I also have a hogfish that might be eating pods not sure. tank has a refugium and a good amount of rockwork.

2. tankguy

tankguy BOD

In my opinion you should reseed your pod population often ( depending on fish pop ) I have an ornate and bluestar wrasse along with quite a few other wrasses and I see them picking for pods constantly. I add pods once a month

Kremis likes this.
  3. I wouldn't unless you're also going to culture pods or add at least two to three species of pods regularly. . They'll get along fine but the leopards will still make a dent in the pod population even if fed with other foods.

Kremis likes this.
  4. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Right, the wrasses go after and hunt the pods where as the mandarin just eats what happens to be in front of it.

5. jorahx4

jorahx4 Supporting Member

when stocking pods do you guys dump them into the refug/sump or into display? or split into both?

6. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I don’t think there’s any wrong way to do it. I’ve dumped the whole thing in with my chaeto and split it before.

7. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

thanks everyone for the input.

8. tankguy

tankguy BOD

I do both