Kessil

Let talk chalice

Ok, so I have a chalice that was mounted on a 2x2" cube of rock, it's reached the bottom of the rock and it looks like it is starting to fan out at the edges. Do chalices need to have a medium to grow on or will they plate out and grow themselves?

Chalice does need something as a base like sand or a flat area to keep it from wraping its edges under itself, I don't feed mine but some people do.

Iani, well I wanna know all of different people's experiences with chalice so I can learn :D so lets start with a list and then we can talk about their different needs :D

Currently I have:

Bazooka Joe .. like ledium light
darthmaul .. like shaded light
pink lady .. am trying medium light
green .. medium light
orange ..medium light
alien eye .. low light
some kind of water melon medium light
frag of red water melon .. low light
orange and teal green one ... medium light

What do you have?

Yanno a thread about cool corals without pictures just stinks! So I just took pictures today (ok not specifically for this thread :))... here's one I won a raffle, "Alien Invader" chalice. It really isn't in as low light as the picture seems, it's just the white bottom over saturates most of the picture (it literally told me 1/320 shutter speed!).

Most of my other chalices are back of tank, couple of T5s (blue & actinic) through acrylic with salt on it etc etc, so its hard to snap a picture without a serious glass cleaning.
aachalice.jpg

Peectures?!!

DSC00226.JPG

This is the chalice i'm talking about up there. I think it was coined "BAR raffle chalice 1?"

It's totally encrusted the whole piece of rock it is on in the picture.

Not all chalices need something to grow on. True chalices will actually plate out and up. Hence the name chalice.

If your Alien Eye is actually Echinopora, then it is indeed a true chalice that is scrolling rather than most Echinophillia which build a more traditional skeleton. It will grow very fast and be fine in medium light. It will also extend tenticles about 2" long and sting the ta ta out of anything close.
Front two frags: Vivid Firefly Echinophora
I'm told it's original name was Alien Eye, scrolling true chalice

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0703.JPG

Well the word chalice gets thrown around for lots of corals, kind of like "Monti cap" does for most any coral that plates, or "Zoa" for any type of palythoa/zoanthid type of coral. Although in the case of chalice it really is a generic name. But hey if people can call a particular coral say the "True Undata" then why the heck not True Chalice :D

Imo the word true isn't needed. If it's an undata it's an undata. Do ppl use fake to describe a coral? Any way, sorry to get off topic. "presses button" resume thread.

The concept of a "fake chalice"
Makes me laugh out loud!
Chalice "knock off's"

I've heard some referred to as "premium" chalice and "original" Ooooooooo sounds expensive!

glee said:
Imo the word true isn't needed. If it's an undata it's an undata. Do ppl use fake to describe a coral? Any way, sorry to get off topic. "presses button" resume thread.
Only when they have the "true" version and want to express how true there's is :D

The ultra grade etc, that simply is a method by which to classify the costliness (i.e. how much they want to sell it for)... I've seen some "ultra grade acans" where I had to go .. really? It's red.

Back