Lets do more tank tours

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Ranjib Dey, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Ranjib Dey

Ranjib Dey Webmaster

During coral farmers market I was discussing with @Apon that I would love to see more member tanks in person and also show off mines, get tips etc. @Apon told me it used to be a fairly common thing in distant past, and we can find old tank tour threads for reference.

So, what you all think? I would love to get a sense of if this excites you, if theres anything we can do to make it easier on members (like do local, small groups to make it easier on the host ), one advantage of having local club is that we are physically close to each other, and it gives us the opportunity to experience each others tank in person. I think we should take advantage of it.

I would love to host a tank tour, my only challenge is my small apartment, which can host probably 7-8 people at max, comfortably,

Coral reefer, Ashalye and daddio like this.
  2. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

First choose a region, the bay is just too large to visit every place in a day. Then ask for volunteers to show off tanks, you'll want at least 3 people, but probably no more than 5. This usually is a long afternoon type of thing so you might want to setup one place as a food location. If you have space limitations of your place then let people know and you can swap out, in SF one guys house (Wilfred I think) had a limit for how many can be in the back room (weight issue), so we just swapped out. But most importantly... if you want it to happen you should be willing to take the reigns and get things going, don't expect someone else to do the work of planning.

Coral reefer and Ranjib Dey like this.
  3. Ranjib Dey

Ranjib Dey Webmaster

absolutely. I'll start a dedicated thread on tank tours around san mateo area, I know there are handful of people who have tanks here. Lets see how many of them are interested

any other thoughts

coral4me and Coral reefer like this.
  4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Check if we have sponsored shops in the area and plan a visit, I know there's the guy over in Pacifica but that's not exactly close to San Mateo driving wise.

Ranjib Dey likes this.
  5. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I think it’s a great idea. I’d like to see more as well.

6. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

Well Ranjib, if you are planning a tour for this side of the Bay, my garage is always open! That said, if you ever want to come down to Redwood City and look at my tanks (and get frags of course) just give me a holler.
    If we book a peninsula tour, perhaps the final stop could be at the Marine Science Institute in Redwood City? They have a bunch of tanks set up with the fish and invertabrates from the bay. They also have a picnic area that we could have a potluck picnic and trade some frags?. And perhaps we could get a behind the scenes tour of the equipment they use to run their tanks. Let me know if I can help.
    Mark

7. Kim Pattison

Kim Pattison Supporting Member

That sounds like fun.

Kimmies Clownfish Factory also has the space if any of you would be willing to head AAALLLL the way out here to the central valley.

jorahx4 and Ranjib Dey like this.