LF: 50 or 55 gallon Water Barrels

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by ReeferGil, Oct 9, 2013.

1. ReeferGil

ReeferGil Supporting Member

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of upgrading my water making station and was wondering if anyone had two 50 or 55g food safe water drums they'd like to sell. If not, does anyone know where I can purchase these? Thanks!

Gil

2. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Have seen them at hydroponics stores.

3. bee505

bee505 Supporting Member

I've seen them on CL.

4. ReeferGil

Forgive my ignorance, but what's CL?

5. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Craig's list. Make sure you know what's been in em tho

6. ReeferGil

Exactly. I called a couple places in Sunnyvale and South San Francisco. They sell used ones, but who knows what's been in it. I can't justify the price for a new one. Hoping a reefer will sell theirs. :)

7. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

44 gal brute trashcan?

8. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

There's a place close to me (Santa Rosa) that sells used ones. The labels are still on them so you can see what they originally contained. Lots of the big blue ones have had concentrated OJ. Smells like it too! :) Seems like a strong bleach bath would render it harmless.

9. ReeferGil

Hmmm. That doesn't sound bad at all. I attached a pic to show what I've done over the past few days with 32g Brute containers. What do you think? Oh, I did have a couple leaks that I am trying to correct with silicone. Both leaks are very slow and are coming from fittings.

Attached Files:

10. aqua-nut

Nice. Color coordinated too!

Did you use uniseals or bulkheads for the thru the can fittings?

11. ReeferGil

Thanks, I had some time to make the PVC look "pretty". Yup, used the Uniseal, fits like a glove!

12. ReeferGil

Oops, let me clarify. I used standard bulk heads for the bottoms of the containers because the suface was flat and smooth. I used a UniSeal for the side of the bottom container where the side is more rounded.

13. aqua-nut

Are the leaks coming from uniseals, BH or plumbing?

I have not used uniseals yet. They look like they would never work but I've heard good things about them.

On a side note, I just found out you are not supposed to use teflon tape or teflon pipe dope on threaded PVC. There is a sealer made just for PVC threaded fittings.

14. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Weird. Teflon always works for me

15. aqua-nut

It's always worked for me, too.

There was quite the discussion on RC and a good reference to the Lasco web site. The problem is teflon was made for metal pipe to prevent galling. On PVC it lubricates and allows the fitting to be over tightened. This can crack the female fitting.

Anyway, as I said, this was news to me. Always good to learn new things! I haven't looked for the sealer yet. Next time I'm in HD I'll see if they carry it.

16. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

I have two yellow 32g Brute and one 32g grey Brute and a 44g Brute - they all come with dollies if interested.

17. bee505

bee505 Supporting Member

I might be interested. Does the 32 G Brute have drains or do you pump the water out from the top of the lid?

18. ReeferGil

Thanks Raddogz, I ended just using my 32g Brute containers and plumbed them all up already. Maybe Bee505 can use them though.

19. BAYMAC

BAYMAC Guest

Very odd... SPEARS for years has given teh amount of wraps of teflon needed for PVC. They say to limit the amount as you can split a fitting. I have not cracked a PVC fitting in over a decade, and I have done a ton of plumbing. FWIW every plumber I know uses teflon with PVC.

20. BAYMAC

BAYMAC Guest

http://www.containersunlimited.com/

One not for food use are marked typically (as in imprinted on them).

Open top is best IMO.