LF: 50 or 55 gallon Water Barrels

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by ReeferGil, Oct 9, 2013.

1. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

I generally use both teflon + silicone, and do not tighten much at all.
    I have cracked a fitting once (not on aquarium though). You do it once, then usually never again,
    since you know how hard to tighten.
    A bigger concern for me on bulkheads was squashing the rubber gasket out by over tightening.
    That happened a couple of times. Usually on cheap bulkheads with thin gaskets.
    I stopped using those as well. Lots of silicone instead.

2. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

Yes, I found Spears video using both sealer (first half of video) and tape.

I've never used the sealer. I have done many with tape. This is new to me and I'd like to try the sealer. Old dog looking for new trick! :)

I don't think it's a problem using either for someone experienced w/ these fittings. The sealer might work better for the inexperienced. I find tape a PIA. When the threads are wet, my hands are cold & numb, ugh!

Since Lasco says no tape, it's probably better for legal reasons to use sealer on Lasco fittings.

I started this then read Mark's comment. I'm anti-silicone. At least for plumbing. ;) If at the really low pressure we use in an aquarium don't seal w/o silicone, it wasn't done right and needs to be fixed. Just like over feeding the tank, over tightening a fitting is BAD! It is hard to get experience at this when often our 'learning opportunities' are so episodic.

3. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Well, the advantage to using silicone is that you can seriously under-tighten a fitting, and it will still not leak.
    Not an issue for an experienced plumber ... but for us hacks ... :)
    So I am not really disagreeing so much as saying "not done right" is all too common.
    Also, under-tightening makes it real easy to take apart later.

Agree : For aquarium low pressure discussion only

I have no experience with that Spears sealer. It might be a lot better than silicone.
    It does say it is safe for potable water, so should be ok in the tank.
    I might try that. Interesting.