Kessil

LF glass shop in/around San Francisco/Daly City, recommendations?

tam

I just need a piece of glass to cover a hole for a 3/4 bulkhead on the bottom of my tank because I will not be running it plumbed. I looked on yelp and only came across auto shops. I've heard that Home Depot glass isn't all that great so I'd prefer not to use it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

I had a few holes in my sump (I took a 120g reef ready tank, removed both overflows... The bottom was drilled with 4 holes). What I did was order the proper bulkheads from BRS (I got threaded x threaded ones)... Then I went to HomeDepot and picked up some plugs from the plumbing section... I cut the bulkheads down to fit, so just the nut, rubber grommet, and flange are hanging outside of the hole / tank... I used Teflon tape on the threads (or glue if you buy the ones with a slip), and glued/taped the plug into the hole, I also glued around the edges...

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I took my cutting tool and made as much of it as smooth as I could... I did have an issue with 2 of the holes being a little larger, and HomeDepot not having the proper fitting plug, for that I got the threaded x slip connector, Teflon taped the threaded part, screwed it in, then I found the next size down plug and it fit inside with some wiggle room... I used pipe glue and glued it down so that the water pressure would further push it down, and filled all the wiggle room in with pipe cement...

Once installed I also went over it with some silicone just to make sure...

Yes it was a fair amount of work, but I look at it this way... if I ever decide I want to setup that 120 as a tank and not a sump anymore, all I have to do is remove the bulkheads, and all I'd really have to do is drill out the plug and poof I already have bulkheads installed for the plumbing...

Being that small of a piece I can bet a glass shop can even give it to you for free?
Thiesen Glass on 16th@ Potrero, Kaiser on S Van Ness @ 19th St?

3733 Geary Boulevard
San Francisco, CA 94118-3208
(415) 387-3311
Bus: Geary Blvd & Arguello Blvd
they are out in the field a lot but easy and fair.
Talk to "Q"

JAR said:
3733 Geary Boulevard
(415) 387-3311
Talk to "Q"

Dude if Q works there forget the glass, get yourself a supped up Aston Marin or a Lotus!!!

pebble-beach-previews-the-aston-martin-dbs.jpg

Better yet, that exploding bubble gum or the laser watch!!!

GreshamH said:
JAR said:
3733 Geary Boulevard
(415) 387-3311
Talk to "Q"

Dude if Q works there forget the glass, get yourself a supped up Aston Marin or a Lotus!!!

pebble-beach-previews-the-aston-martin-dbs.jpg

Better yet, that exploding bubble gum or the laser watch!!!

Not THAT Q LOL

Back