LF: Reef LED

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by Nav, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Nav

Nav Director of Marketing & Photography

Looking for a good (new or used) LED fixture that can light my 36" 40b tank.

A360WE, Hydras, etc.

2. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Didn't you just get rid of kessils?

3. jonmos75

jonmos75 Guest

hahahaha....I was thinking the same thought.....

4. jonmos75

jonmos75 Guest

I don't have any to sell you but I run (2) A-360WE on my 36" tank

IMAG0171.jpg

5. 650-IS350

650-IS350 Supporting Member

Nav's currently burrowing my new Kessil A360 WE's.

6. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

That's so nice of you charles!

7. 650-IS350

650-IS350 Supporting Member

LOL, he was so fortunate it was unopened yet in a box with the protective plastic still bwahahahah

8. Nav

Yup, thats how STUPID I was :( The chinese blackbox I used to replace my Kessil did grow SPS but coloration was not great and shimmer was not even close to a Kessil. I should've waited n watched the new light before I sold my A350W. Well, I learned my lesson! But instead of a A350W, I'm thinking a 360 cos its a step brighter and controllable (if I invest in a reef controller or kessil's controller later).

Agreed Jon, its what I can afford now. I know 24" is the suggested surface coverage per fixture but I ran a single A350W for several months over my tank.

Yes, have to really appreciate Charles lending me his BNIB A360WE. I took this to bring my tank back to normal and use the Chinese box over a temporary frag tank.

9. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

10. Nav

@Vhuang168 I might need two of those which I cant afford, but thanks for sharing :)

11. Vhuang168

You can check out AIs new light. Prime. $199 each. Looks pretty good but you might need 3.

Vincent

Nav and bluprntguy like this.
  12. Nav

This is an old pic from Jess... just comparing 1 A350W (first pic) vs 2 A150s (second pic) over a 36" tank. Which one would you prefer and why?

562734_318872601515583_1158589121_n.jpg

581611_318872551515588_1342677303_n.jpg

13. Vhuang168

The 350 gives a more dramatic effect, effectively isolating the island. The 2 150s give a more even light over the whole tank. In that particular tank with that rock work n with the assumption there will be no more other rocks or corals added to the edges, I like the single look. If it were up to me personally, I would go with the 2 lights just for further coral additions

Vincent

Coral reefer likes this.
  14. Nav

My rock is all over the tank... I was trying to find out which setup is good for better coral growth? (mixed reef)

15. Vhuang168

Don't they both work the same way? The 350/360s just output more per light vs 150/160? Spectrum is the same on both series I do believe.

So as long as you have enough coverage, n the 2 150/160 looks like the way to go, they should grow coral the same?

I think 2 360s would be really good for sps dominated tank.

I was in a similar situation n Robert suggested 2 360s would b the best setup but 2 160s would work as well. My tank is only 32" wide though.

Vincent

16. Nav

Agreed that a A360WEs are the best, not something I can buy in one shot. I see some good deals on CL for A150s so I could either do that or pickup a 360 and go basic SPS for several months till I can invest in a second one to go full on SPS ;)

17. Nav

Other alternate I was thinking is to run A150s on the side while I still keep my chinese blackbox in the center. That way there's mix in spectrum, spread, shimmer, PAR, all of it!

18. jonmos75

jonmos75 Guest

Nav

As I have learned and you are learning going the less expensive way to save a buck will cost you more money in the long run as you will eventually end up having to spend more money buying cheep fixtures that don't do what you want and after buying 2-3 of those you could have bought what you wanted in the first place and thought was too expensive....

One of my sayings is "GO BIG or GO HOME".....and what I mean by this is save up for what you want instead what will get you by for the time being....

Coral reefer likes this.
  19. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Had the kessil150's. Horrible. Would never go back. The lack of controllability for light and color was painful. I bought my kessil150 brand new for like 220$ used it for 3 weeks. Tried selling it on reefcentral and craigslists for months and was barely able to sell it for 140$.

The kessil160s i would buy for controllability but i have no experience with them. I would get the 360s. Was 1 350 good enough for you?

I feel like I need 2 360s for my 40breeder. Unless i turn the intensity pretty high.

Grow coral and sell them to offset some of the costs of the lights.

Vhuang168 and jonmos75 like this.
  20. Nav

Good point Jon :) & Mike thanks, will not go the A150/160 route...

Ok here's one last question to the guys here... If it were you, would you go with a single Hydra52 or A360WE for a 36"?