LF: Sand

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by Solitaryensis, Apr 16, 2018 at 11:49 AM.

1. Solitaryensis

Solitaryensis Supporting Member

Hi All:

Starting to gather stuff for my new tank build. Coincidentally, I just gave away a ton of sand a couple weeks ago and now need sand for the new set up. The new tank has a 48” x 24” foot print. If you got some sand (and maybe even a little bit of rock) you want to get rid of, let me know what you’ve got! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. I would never reuse sand from my tank let alone someone else's . It's one of the cheaper parts of the set-up.

Coral reefer likes this.
  3. Solitaryensis

I know it’s a bit risky but I have lots of time and planned to “cook” the sand with a long and thorough swim in bleach. I’ve also used old sand with luck.

That being said, you’re probably right that I should bite the bullet and just buy the sand. Just trying to figure out ways to shave a couple bucks off the build in between saving for my children’s college funds!

4. I get that -- sand is just one of those things that isn't expensive enough to make the risk vs, reward worth it. And nothing wrong with two years at a community college first if it means a healthier tank.

Coral reefer and Julius Chen like this.
  5. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

I used CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand 40 lb. I am a cheapskate but I figured at a buck a pound how can I scrimp?

6. Solitaryensis

I prob should have done some research first. Just saw that sand on BRS. It’s cheap and I’ll only need two bags. That takes care of that! Thanks

7. Solitaryensis

LOL. “Sorry but you’ll have to go to community college first since I used your college funds on new sand” lol. Thanks, Bruce.

8. NelsonCh

NelsonCh Supporting Member

How much sand you buying to force your kids to go to community college o_O... 529 the college fund if you are serious haha.

9. Solitaryensis

There was some hyperbole in there:) Just trying to save where I can on this build since it was a bit unexpected. I had been eyeing an upgrade for sometime but never could pull the trigger but the tank I wanted went on sale on amazon (I know, go figure). We’re all set up with the 529 :)

10. NelsonCh

NelsonCh Supporting Member

Oh I see. Always hard to tell in online messages.

Im in the same situation as you are haha. I recently splurged cause the tank I was eyeing was magically on sale too! Should have waited on the equipment to be on sale but I was impatient.

11. Deereef

Deereef Supporting Member

I have Fiji 30 lbs live sand order from amazon and not using . $30?

12. Julius Chen

Julius Chen Supporting Member

What are the chips like substrate I saw at tanks on display at Neptunes? Are they better than sandy sand in helpng with water chemistry?

13. Solitaryensis

Where are you located?

14. Solitaryensis

Neptune’s uses crushed coral in some of their tanks. Some argue that crushed coral can be more of a detritus trap than sand. I don’t think there’s a clear answer about one being better than the other. For me, it’s mostly about the aesthetics.

15. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I agree about the aesthetics. That’s why I went with the special grade 40# bag there at Neptune. I like the look of the finer sand but it gets blown around too easily. This was a perfect size to still look good but is much more prone to stay where you put it. I never really liked the look of the crushed coral but everyone has their taste and that for sure won’t get blown around.