Our mission

LFS that stock Mantis Shrimp?

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows a LFS that stocks Mantis Shrimp? I'm about to start cycling a tank that I want to put a mantis in with some softies eventually but the only place that I know of that can get them is Seascapes in Mountain View. I'm looking in particular for a Gonodactylus Smithii or Purple Spot mantis and Seascapes told me that they really have no control over what they get in.

Any ideas?

There was a peacock at Aqua Exotic last time I was there IIRC.

BTW peacock is the most commonly used name for them, very few in the hobby know it was a purple spot.

Peacocks are one stores actually can specify as wholesalers get more money for them.

Every time I visit 104th St in LA I see a dozen or so of them at the various wholesalers.

I was at AE yesterday and I think I just missed their mantis but I had them keep an eye out for the species I'm looking for. Seascapes mentioned that they get their livestock from somewhere in Hayward too so I'll likely make a few calls in that direction.

I have seen them at Aquarium Concepts in Dublin, but all of these LFSs order through the LA wholesalers and they should be able to put one on their next order for you.

KusabiKuri said:
I was at AE yesterday and I think I just missed their mantis but I had them keep an eye out for the species I'm looking for. Seascapes mentioned that they get their livestock from somewhere in Hayward too so I'll likely make a few calls in that direction.

The wholesaler in Hayward won't talk to you unless you are a bonafide dealer.

magnetar68 said:
but all of these LFSs order through the LA wholesalers

Not exactly true. We have a local wholesaler, many tranship and don't use a wholesaler, and many use wholesalers outside of LA.... but yah, many still use LA>

Natural Life Aquarium has what looks like either a 1.5" green or falcatus. Might just pick that one up!

The place on 6th sounds scary but I'll probably stop in at one point or another to see for myself.

KusabiKuri said:
The place on 6th sounds scary but I'll probably stop in at one point or another to see for myself.

I am in agreement with the other members here that 6th Ave Aquarium is not a good place to purchase livestock. If you must go see for yourself, resist the urge to make it a "rescue mission" - purchasing any livestock there only continues to support their poor husbandry and practices.

Have you checked whether a reputable LFS is able to special order what you are looking for? :)

lattehiatus said:
KusabiKuri said:

I am in agreement with the other members here that 6th Ave Aquarium is not a good place to purchase livestock. If you must go see for yourself, resist the urge to make it a "rescue mission" - purchasing any livestock there only continues to support their poor husbandry and practices.

Have you checked whether a reputable LFS is able to special order what you are looking for? :)

I had a few stores looking out for one for me but ended up getting one from Natural Life Aquarium in South SF. The guys there said it was a regular green mantis but when I got it home and acclimated, I saw it was actually a purple spotted mantis. Exactly the species I was hoping for :D

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/DSC_6702.JPG

Yes he was the little guy in the floating container and he's really energetic. At $20 he was priced just right too!

Not sure who runs Natural Life but there's a Caucasian guy and an Asian guy that I've seen.

Back