Our mission

LFS with cured LR? LOL nope.

find some for me please. seems the LR is almost completly neglected in 4 out of 4 LFS in my area. 3 of you guys get free lights, can use water from frag tanks to change LR tanks, can easily change the filter sock in the sump(dublin...been watching that for 4 months, since that LR came in, then turned to crap), and run a single circ pump? I will happily keep LR in our 150 gallon jet tub with a 400 halide on it, and sell the stuff for $6 a LB. covered in coraline. get some lights on those LR tanks and do some maint. guys. thanks, all of us.

Last edited:
Most don't wanna pontentially contaminate (hopefully) pest free new rock with water from frag tanks. Also, complain about lfs all you want, but even if they aren't sponsors (especially dont rip sponsors on here, not that you are. its a small world, so best to not make too many ripples.
Cool idea for curing your own. Are you actually going to do it? These days I find it to be much cheaper and safer to start with dead rock and cure it myself anyways.
I have hundreds of pounds if old dead rock I'm about to wash in muriatic acid and then cure up myself.

Just slightly OT...
:)

Went looking for muriatic acid. All I could find was 'Klean-strip safer Muriatic Acid'. Reports are this is weaker than traditional MA (<25% vs 33%). Doesn't seem to contain any other ingredients beside HCL and water. Is this OK to use?

Dude, he's gotta sell 5 pounds of rock first...
Until we switch to a new membership system where you get 12 months from the date you pay (coming soon I think) it makes sense to wait until jan to pay anyways.

find some for me please. seems the LR is almost completly neglected in 4 out of 4 LFS in my area. 3 of you guys get free lights, can use water from frag tanks to change LR tanks, can easily change the filter sock in the sump(dublin...been watching that for 4 months, since that LR came in, then turned to crap), and run a single circ pump? I will happily keep LR in our 150 gallon jet tub with a 400 halide on it, and sell the stuff for $6 a LB. covered in coraline. get some lights on those LR tanks and do some maint. guys. thanks, all of us.

Expand your search! There are several excellent LFSs serving the Bay Area.

More than most other hobbies, I think ours appeals to the DIYer with the mentality that it could be done better, or those who relish doing something for the sake of having the experience. If I don't like what the four restaurants near me are serving, then I'd better learn to cook! ;)

Just slightly OT...
:)

Went looking for muriatic acid. All I could find was 'Klean-strip safer Muriatic Acid'. Reports are this is weaker than traditional MA (<25% vs 33%). Doesn't seem to contain any other ingredients beside HCL and water. Is this OK to use?

John, I couldn't find any definitive conclusion from the datasheets and labels on the manufacturer site that the only ingredients are HCl and water. You're right to be concerned and I would err on the side of caution, even if others are reporting it's safe to use.

Perhaps a drive out to Lowes to find this? Though from where I stand I also can't tell if it's only water and HCl.

Perhaps a drive out to Lowes to find this? Though from where I stand I also can't tell if it's only water and HCl.

I looked a Lowe's online and did find 31.45% and 15.7% MA. Now to puzzle out if it's only HCL and water!

OK. A little more digging (MSDS data sheet) and I found the Lowe's MA, made by Crown, has less than 1% contaminates. Rest is HCL and water!

Time for a drive to Lowe's and REALLY clean the skimmer air intake!!

And now we return to our regularly scheduled program...

;)

I looked a Lowe's online and did find 31.45% and 15.7% MA. Now to puzzle out if it's only HCL and water!

OK. A little more digging (MSDS data sheet) and I found the Lowe's MA, made by Crown, has less than 1% contaminates. Rest is HCL and water!

Time for a drive to Lowe's and REALLY clean the skimmer air intake!!

And now we return to our regularly scheduled program...

;)
Be careful!
I have a pool, so plenty of muriatic acid around (from Leslie pool supply), but still use vinegar to clean calcium deposits.
Just too many things to go wrong.
Injury, fumes, spills are the usual concerns.
But to me, getting the concentration and soak time right and not destroying equipment is often a trickier issue.

Totally agree with you Mark. HCl is nothing to play with. I got dowsed with some concentrated HCl many years ago by the idiot across from me in chem lab.

I'm just cheap! HCl is so much less $$ that vinegar. Of course it must be diluted.

For all reading this, remember always add acid to water. Do it wrong once and you will always remember that day!

If you get DRY not-live rock, that has been dug out of the ground, and never cured,
it is very useful to soak in vinegar (or acid-solution). It dissolves the outer layer.
That is key for several reasons.
That outer layer often has a lot of crud/dirt on it.
It opens up pores for better microbe activity in future.
It removes a fair amount of phosphates that may have leached in.

Also useful if you have some nasty Paly or other life on a true live rock, and you want to sterilize it.

Back