Light rails

Discussion in 'Other Reef Talk' started by tuberider, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

You might check out B-Line strut hardware. We use it at work for all kinds of stuff.

http://www.b-line.com/product/PDFLibrary/strutsystems/index.htm

The rollers are called trolley fittings.

http://www.b-line.com/pdf/catalogs/ProductInformation/SS08-PDF-WebPI/Fittings-MiscellaneousFittings.pdf

We get it from Ashby Plumbing and Heating in Berkeley.

The owner, Glenn Kunishige, is a good guy.

2. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Sweet thanks Norman, I hope he sells by the foot. It would be hilarious for me to come home with 10' or so.

3. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Hehe... we order like 200-300 ft each of a few types of channel, plus fittings.

Might be better to call him first.

Or else you can get stuff from www.mcmaster.com

4. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Of course Mikey had some fall off the back of the truck. Now it's time to order the BBQ motor, I'll have to sneak the motor past the old Weber so it doesn't get angry. There, there little BBQ it's ok, have some briquettes.

5. LeviT

LeviT Guest

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=3180.msg38045#msg38045 date=1205776156]
    Of course Mikey had some fall off the back of the truck. Now it's time to order the BBQ motor, I'll have to sneak the motor past the old Weber so it doesn't get angry. There, there little BBQ it's ok, have some briquettes.
    [/quote]

Wow Jeremy, first the weiner fetish not BBQ's?? LOL jk I couldn't resist. ;D

6. tuberider

tuberider Guest

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=3180.msg38047#msg38047 date=1205776551]
    [quote author=tuberider link=topic=3180.msg38045#msg38045 date=1205776156]
    [/quote]

Wow Jeremy, first the weiner fetish not BBQ's?? LOL jk I couldn't resist. ;D
    [/quote]Levi you forgot coral fetish, and it's not just restricted to BBQ's it's a food fetish, I love to eat (can't you tell by lookin at me?)

7. tuberider

tuberider Guest

8. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Don't know for sure, but someone references auto reverse here:

http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_544701_grillpro_universal_heavy_duty_rotisserie_reviews

Get 2, I'll buy one off you!

9. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

He is a rail I have in my conopy. It allows me to move the reflector 6 to 8" back. Rail come in different length incase you want to move the lighting a few more inches.

[​IMG] [/B]

10. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Nice Perry, looks like that keeps you from burning yourself when your fragging all those lovely corals.

11. tuberider

tuberider Guest

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3180.msg38073#msg38073 date=1205783587]
    Don't know for sure, but someone references auto reverse here:

http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_544701_grillpro_universal_heavy_duty_rotisserie_reviews

Get 2, I'll buy one off you!
    [/quote]That looks like the same exact motor, I'll order right now!

12. tuberider

tuberider Guest

OK Norman I ordered two @$27.00 ea including shipping, I'm soooooooooooo excited OMG, OMG, OMG ;D

13. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Cool. Thanks Jeremy.

Any thoughts on a drive mechanism for the trolley?

I was thinking maybe a cable or belt drive with a spool on the motor... wrap the cable a couple times around the spool.

Screw drive would be a clean setup. More pricey on parts. I should have saved the parts off the old garage door opener, haha :D

14. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Worm drive, I've got council working on it right now. I'll let you know what comes of it. I figure the worm drive would be reliable, and slow enough to not zoom back and forth like a psychedelic party. I don't think it will be too pricey, on my recon run to HD today I saw quite a few things that would work.

So far, the wood has fallen off the back of the truck, unistrut fell off the truck as well, I paid for the motor. Now all I need is the worm drive set up (wait, I just had a thought, broken garbage compactor they have worm drives..., I'm sure my "Junkman" landlord has a few of those lying around, he just removed my "free" stove from the roadside not 15 min ago and put it on the pile[/rolleyes]). Anyway I'll keep you posted!

15. hooked

hooked Guest

it will probably be easier to just weld/thread one up . ill try to slim it down but the easy example

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_19889_19889

flip this upsidedown . something like that, but made to suit

16. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Geeze Mike, thank god it has 1250 pound capacity, those lumenarc mini's are heavy!

17. hooked

hooked Guest

go big or go home ! right ? ;)

18. tuberider

tuberider Guest

I'm listening to wefunkradio.com right now, so I'm not going big, I'm going on and on, yeah, I go on and on, whad up, it goes on and on, word is bond.

19. hooked

hooked Guest

lol ;D you funky !

20. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

McMaster has 6' long steel acme lead screws. 3/8 x 12tpi for like $8. Acme nuts are around $9.

Motor is 2.5 rpm. so for example:

12tpi / 2.5 rpm = 4.8 minutes to travel 1 inch.

4.8 min/inch X 24 inches / 60 min/hr = 1.92 hours for the light to travel 24"

For a 6 hour lighting period, the light would make about 3 passes over a 4' tank.