Our mission

Light Recommendation

Looking for recommendations for lights over an Innovative Marine SR-80.
Measurements are 48” x 24” x 16”.

Currently I have a 36" custom Full Spectrum 300W LED fixture over it now, but feel like I got better color pop and depth coverage from my measly 2 bulb T5 HO fixture. The LED fixture is mounted on a Radion XR30 mount probably about 12" above the water surface which doesn't seem to be adjustable in height and I feel like the penetration/coverage isn't sufficient as there are definitely some shadows on the outer back corners.

I don't keep any SPS. I have LPS, softies and Anemones. FWIW, the corals and anemone's do seem to be doing fine. I'm just not getting the vibrant coloring that I want. I would prefer to stay with LED's.

Reccomendations?

Budget? If you can swing it, a Kessil AP700 would be awesome! Neptune has 1 over an SR80 and all the coral is growing very fast and with awesome colors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll have to go check it out. I was actually reading about the AP700, but it didn't look like it would give complete coverage. Neptune is very close though, so I'll go check it out :)

Yeah I second what vincent said. Neptunes has a BUNCH of ap700s set up. I think it has good coverage.

And they recently through out their T5 and metal halide fixtures and replaced them with the AP700 leds.

Very impressed they backed kessil since lots of people doubted the kessil 360w could grow and color SPS corals adequately.

For a mainly softie/LPS with some sps on the top, absolutely.

In fact, after playing with the par meter in my tank, I found that the par in the center on the floor is actually slightly higher than right under 1 puck at the top of my rock.

I actually have sps frags in the center on the floor and they are all happy!

Your SR80 is 48" wide. The Kessil rated coverage is 48". The SR80 is a 16" shallow reef so penetration isn't an issue at all. You keep LPS and softies -- so certainly. And it would look amazing.

I just was at neptune last night and saw the tank @Vhuang168 was talking about. There's some undeniable shadowing on the upper corners but if you were to keep the rockwork in the middle you probably wouldn't notice it as much.

They have it pretty low I believe. I think if you raise it high enough you'll be fine. The SR80 is not very deep so that won't be an issue. + they have hat tank STUFFED with coral!

One thing I'm wondering on the mounting arms...... Do you know if they are adjustable front to back of tank to center it? It looks like the height is adjustable, but I cant tell on the other.

I would skip the Kessil mounts. I'll be using mounts from 6061.com

http://www.6061.com/Kessil_AP700.htm

Much cleaner, height adjustable, cables are hidden and I like the square stock vs round tubes. Matches the tank better.

I already have my 2 mounts in boxes waiting for the build.

I did see that mount posted on ebay as well. I like that it is just 1 mount directly in the middle, but from what I seen it looked like the mount had to be screwed onto the back of the stand? My tank is an up and running tank so there is no moving it without draining it at least partially, which would mean taking down all the rock and corals to be able to pull it out enough to be able to mount the arm on the back etc.. which I didn't want to do. I'll look at the link you posted to see if there are different mounting options.

Cool light mount, I wish I could do something like that, but I have a son who will put things in my tank (he has Autism, so its not like I can just teach him not to) so I have to have a complete cover.

Opinions please. My AP700 should be here any day. However I dont want any shadowing at the corners, so I;m thinking of adding Some kessil 160 or 360 at the ends. My question is, with the AP700 in the middle... Do I need the 360's? or will the 160's suffice and the 360's would just be overkill?

Back