Reef nutrition

Light recommendations

Eh nope lol, I'm not hoarding gear unless "some people".

Actually looking for a small light for the sump frag tank myself (AI Prime, Kessil 160WE etc)

Anybody like this one? I know it is not a kessil. But for less than $200 I can get this and a wifi controller.
  • Fully adjustable light settings (sunset, sunrise, break, cloud effect & moon)
  • Dimming option with gradual illumination.

fluval.png

• Full spectrum marine & reef LED lighting with essential actinic blue spectral wavelengths
  • Promotes and supports strong coral growth and color
  • Balanced combination of multiple LEDs for optimal coral photosynthetic activity, growth & viewing
  • Features 6 unique LEDs, including 400, 420, 440, 460nm LEDs for outstanding blue spectrum coverage
  • 120-degree light dispersion for full area coverage and uniform lighting
  • Illuminated touch-sensitive switch with dimming feature
  • Versatile mounting options (on aquarium frame, on cabinet, or suspended)
  • Extendable mounting brackets allow easy installation on a variety of aquarium widths
  • Completely sealed and water proofed
  • Ultra-slim design
  • German-engineered

MarsAqua and he think he pulled both the reds and greens and swapped them out for UV. He didn't remember exactly lol.

I asked him about it and he actually likes his wife's setup better. Didn't need any mods and it was plug and play out of the bag. Hers is the Galaxyhydro from Amazon for $100 shipped.
I looked at the Galaxyhydros and am trying to find a light that doesn't have a fan. The tank is in the bedroom so less noise is better. I am leaning towards a Kessil at this point.

I looked at the Galaxyhydros and am trying to find a light that doesn't have a fan. The tank is in the bedroom so less noise is better. I am leaning towards a Kessil at this point.

Kessil have fans as well. Almost all LEDs have fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil have fans as well. Almost all LEDs have fans.

Question, Due to the fact that the current fixture has a white and an actinic bulb, and we cant run them separate, we never get to see the corals glow, they are always in daylight. If we added a separate single H/O Flour. fixture with only actinic to run in the am and pm, would the single actinic make the corals glow while the other fixture is off?

If you just want a little pop to the colors, look at reefbrites. They are strip LEDs that are easy to retrofit to most fixtures.

You can add a actinic bulb but most don't like having just the actinic on by itself. Makes the tank look like a 70s psychedelic party.

You
Question, Due to the fact that the current fixture has a white and an actinic bulb, and we cant run them separate, we never get to see the corals glow, they are always in daylight. If we added a separate single H/O Flour. fixture with only actinic to run in the am and pm, would the single actinic make the corals glow while the other fixture is off?
can for sure do this, but like Vincent said I'd go w a reefbrite strip

Agree, go with the Reefbrite if you just want the pop.

You're going with a shoestring budget for LEDs. There's plenty of "blackbox" type LEDs out there in your price range and while all the programmability looks great, most advanced reefer will just go with on/offs after awhile. They just set the lights on and off at specific times of the day after they lock in the spectrum. They usually have two separate channels. If you want to just pop stuff, just manually turn the whites down via the knob (manual knob and not a controller).

Someone, maybe @roostertech had an led fixture for sale? I think it was a Fluval 2.0 with crappy buttons. Perhaps he will chime in.

I was the one selling the Fluval. I got it when I first started the hobby. I never had a problem with the light it produced just the functionality of it. I had some of the "easy" corals that it seemed to grow just fine. I had a torch and a pocillapora that seemed to do fine with it.

If you want you can pick it up from me and try it out and if you like it you can pay me ($100) and if you don't like it you can just bring it back.

I was the one selling the Fluval. I got it when I first started the hobby. I never had a problem with the light it produced just the functionality of it. I had some of the "easy" corals that it seemed to grow just fine. I had a torch and a pocillapora that seemed to do fine with it.

If you want you can pick it up from me and try it out and if you like it you can pay me ($100) and if you don't like it you can just bring it back.
Probably not enough light for SPS?

While I search for the perfect LED for this tank, for now we picked up an 18" T8 15w actinic fluorescent bulb for a small aquarium light that I had laying around. We put it on a second timer and being that it is only 15watts, the corals glow, but not like a 70's psychedelic party. Now I just need to keep an eye on C/L, EBay and such Thanks Guys!!

Back