Cali Kid Corals

Lighting Design

I am currently trying to decide how to do a new lighting setup in my tank. I currently just have some PC bulbs and want to updrade to MH. I was origanlly just going to get a premade light kit from Coralife with 2 250W MH lights and 2 NO atinic bulbs. But as I have learned much since that time I am no longer sure that is the best option for me. My tank is 48L X 24H X 19D. I want to make sure I have plenty of light at the bottom of the tank, and for this I believe that I would need to get 2 400W MH lights to acomplish this? The only real delema I have is the tank is in my living room, so I cannot just hang some lights from the celing. They need to look good, and my tank does not have a hood to place them in. Does anybody have any suggestions on a particular light and or a way to mount them to keep the outside of the tank looking as good as the inside?

I am willing to bet that 2x250 with some good (efficient) reflectors like the lumenarc or lumenbright (assuming you don't get a bad batch like mine lol). There are several ways to get around no ceiling hanging for pendant lights.

If not that, and you have the budget, you can get a quality ATI t5HO setup.

IMO 400w would be WAY overkill for that tank. Now with any lighting setup you're not going to have it "as bright" on the bottom of the tank as you are near the surface, it's the nature of the beast sue physics if you don't like it :D

Depending upon what bulb you want you can more than easily get enough light on the bottom of your tank, if you stick with 10k bulbs or that 15k Iwasaki bulb hell you could go 175w bulbs in a decent reflector and get away with it. If you want the bluer end of the spectrum most 175w are lacking, but 250w should be more than sufficient. Besides if you go from PC to MH bulbs you're going to need to do some acclimating for your corals.

Now the whole idea of "good reflectors" probably point towards the lumenarc or lumenbright, the problem with only 19" of tank width that leaves you with the "mini" style, and while that isn't the problem at all, the fact is they don't leave room for actinic lighting, so you're pretty much stuck with the color of your halides.

[quote author=Paradox link=topic=3941.msg46632#msg46632 date=1213978416]
My tank is 18" width and I have lumenarc minis and T5s in there. You would need a hood to hide it all though.
[/quote]Which begs the question, what type of canopy do you have?

doh. I missed that. Tumble did say "They need to look good, and my tank does not have a hood to place them in. " so it sounds like a typical tank and no canopy. He would either have to do a creative suspension of a pendant like what Ian did (using conduit etc) or a tank resting light like the sunpod.

If no canopy, I'd get two Lumenarc Minis a VHO retro, slap them in a little stained/painted box and call it a day. Check out what Mikey and I did in my tank thread.

[quote author=Paradox link=topic=3941.msg46632#msg46632 date=1213978416]
My tank is 18" width and I have lumenarc minis and T5s in there. You would need a hood to hide it all though.
[/quote]
You don't have any eurobracing around your tank though do you? The Mini's are about 14.5" wide, so a couple 2.25" parabolic t5 reflectors could work, but my tank has a rim around it so most of the light would probably be blocked, that and I don't have a canopy on that tank :(

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=3941.msg46646#msg46646 date=1213983154]
If no canopy, I'd get two Lumenarc Minis a VHO retro, slap them in a little stained/painted box and call it a day. Check out what Mikey and I did in my tank thread.
[/quote]
Thanks that might be a good option. I will need to try and draw something out and see what I can make and fit in there.

I was looking at maybe picking this light up. It sounds like a good option and the price is pretty good.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1407065

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3941.msg46689#msg46689 date=1214009912]
Give me your tank dimensions (including the lip) and I can render it for you lol.
[/quote]
48L X 19D X 24T It has a 2 inch lip all the way around with rounded front edges. a 2inch plastic brace in the center of the tank.

so with lip, it is 52L x 23D? The PFO setup looks good. Not sure on the price. I KNOW you will get more light with 2x lumenarcs over the PFO reflectors. I'll get you a model of your tank up very soon :-D

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3941.msg46693#msg46693 date=1214010563]
so with lip, it is 52L x 23D? The PFO setup looks good. Not sure on the price. I KNOW you will get more light with 2x lumenarcs over the PFO reflectors. I'll get you a model of your tank up very soon :-D
[/quote]
No sorry with the lip is is actually 44L X 17D I had miss measure the depth.
Thanks Tony

44? odd size tank. That puts it between a standard 36 and 48" tank. You'll have to use 36" VHOs. May want to confirm measurements :p

From the outside wall to outside wall it is 48" long. From outside edge front to back is 19" Deep From max water level to bottom of tank is 24". The 2 side walls have a 2 inch black plastic trim panel around it. The front and rear have a 1/2" lip on it.

Back