Our mission

Lighting Design

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=3941.msg46698#msg46698 date=1214011266]
Brian if that PFO setup has their spider reflectors in it be careful, they have a lot of hot spots and shadows.
[/quote] What is the best way to find out?
Also if I were to get the Lumenarc mini's would 2 be enough coverage for the tank or should I get more?

So say doing 2 mini's and the ice cap 4' T5 retrofit kit for my atinic lights would accomplish all my lighting needs?
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~~action~view~idProduct~IC1515~idCategory~FILTRTRFT5~category~4ft_IceCap_T5_2_Lamp_Complete_Retrofit_Kit_(with_ballast_and_reflectors)_For_T5~vendor~.html

I am unhappy with t5 actinic. They color is fine, but the fluorescence is meh. I haven't seent hem side by side, but Jeremy says teh VHO t12's blow them away (and I'd believe it).

btw, I am having fun rendering this for you lol.

ok I will look into the T12's. I have heard good things about Icecap ballasts. But is there a different one that you would recomend? I am cleaning the tank right now and will take a couple of pics of it and start a member journal later tonight. maybe other people being able to see the way the tank looks will help.

yes, you even get a plant! I am not sure if I did this for you or for the fun for me lol. I almost added a couch!

Either way, that is 2x lumenarc minis + 2x HVO inside a simple canopy over your 48" tank
EDIT: come to think of it, the canopy should be a bit taller to move the lumenarcs a few more inches up.

837_20_06_08_8_11_42.jpg

:eek: That is pretty sweet Tony. very similar to what I got. Now a weird question Would I build it and just set it on top of the tank or should mount it to the back wall behind the tank?

I've seen both done. I think Jeremy's is on the wall. This gives a bit of easy ventilation and more tank access. You do have a fair bit more spill though.

My main concern is the weight. I am overly concernd about stress on the tank. I had a tank "Exact same model" shattern on me in september. Luckly my LFS likes me and got me a replacement tank for free to replace the one that shattered.

My biggest concern with that setup would be heat. I have my halides contained in the hood similar to that and man does it run hot even with a relatively open back and icecap fans on both sides. I tried to mount the mini's in the hood (a 14" hood) and found they were too close to the water surface. thinking of routing out holes in the top and mounting the luminarcs on top of the hood.

Also a problem with that design would be access. Unless I am missing something as to how it opens.

I have been doing some more research on lighting and have run into a little snag. Just wanted to get some others opinions on it. Pricing out a lighting system with lumwnarc mini reflectors, ballast, bulbs and 2 48" VHO atinic bulbs and then also building a hood for the tank. I also took into acount the price of a chiller with pump and hosing and got a rough price of $1900-$2200 depending on the chiller and pump. I was also looking into the Solaris LED lights and those run in the range of $2500-$2700 depending on store. My questions now are has anybody here used one? I have good things on other sites about them. For a couple dollars more I can get the Solais lights not need a chiller, to build a hood, and my power usuage will also be less.
Any thoughts? Anything I am missing?

[quote author=Tumbleweed link=topic=3941.msg46936#msg46936 date=1214269713]
Right after I posted this I read the article you posted. It make me think alot.

My Brain hurts now!
[/quote]Now you'll wake up in a cold sweat thinking about it :D

What is an LED? If is funny. there is an LED flame feast with that new mogul street light LED fixture over on NR. I'm having fun with that one. the 'designer' is dodging the important parts I am hitting on lol.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=160239

if you REALLy want to get into the LED discussion, I'd be happy to. But you need to be ready for it :p

Back