got ethical husbandry?

Lighting

I am looking to upgrade lighting on my 20g. It’s a FOWLR but I want to make it into reef I am looking into the kessil a80 or the ai prime my price range is 0-200$ the dimensions are 24 inches x 12 inches x 16 inches please comment your opinions
I am looking to get enough lighting to sustain Lps coral and hopefully some sps

I have another tank that I also want to upgrade the light on it’s a 40g long it’s 48 inches x 12 inches x 16 inches if any one has a light they are willing to sell please pm me. The plan is to upgrade the light on the 20 gallon and save up for the light on the 40 gallon. I am in the Sacramento area but I am willing to drive to San Francisco.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Kessil A80 isn't nearly enough to sustain a mixed reef in a 20 gallon. My suggestion is to by a used Kessil. A 160 is better and used can be found from $125-$150. A 350 will run about $150.00 and do a great job. You also can now find (if your patient) a nice, used 360 for $225.00. Then, of course, there are other options besides Kessils too.

I agree A160s would be better, for a 20G tank if you did go the A80 route I'd say at least 2 of them, LPS ok, SPS probably not unless they're low to the water and the SPS are high in the tank, and 2 new ones are definitely over that $200 price range.

That said, used is nice, guy here is selling used A160s for $100 each (that may be a member only price), I think 2 of them mounted on your tank would be perfect, and be right in your $200 price range, I believe they come with the mounting hardware too. @Jonathan Chia

I ran 2 of the A160s on goosenecks on my nuvo 20. Added a 3rd when I got the reefer 350 but it wasn't enough light.

Happy to extend the $100/ea pricing with hardware if you're interested

Back