Kessil

Live Rock into base rock

stick it in a container without any water out in your backyard would work nicely :)

Why you want to make baserock out of live rock I would not know though :)

Not hair algae but some kind of red turf algae and maybe some red flatworms, colony hydroids. I really would like to start off new without the unwanted pest and algae. My old tank got taken over by this red turf algae and flatworms.

I'm planning to start off my new tank nice and slow. Make sure all new corals, rocks are dipped and fish quarantined. Unlike when I first started reefing, was too excited. I'm planning on buying all base rock and maybe a pound of live rock, the live rock will be dipped in flatworm exit and Lugols.

After several weeks or months the live rock in a dry bucket is now "dead" I would have to scrub it and wash it out as good as possible to remove any waste? Anything else needs to be done?

I know what you mean with that tough red algae!

Bluenassarius uses a torch to burn that stuff off :) He says don't stick it back in your tank right away unless you want a nitrate spike.

Probably as you say... leave it out for a few weeks. Then torch off the dried algae. Maybe stick it in a big tub with some tank water and a powerhead and heater to let the rocks shed all their crud.

Someone gave me some rubble rock for mounting frags. I found some flatworms on the rocks. I just threw the pieces into a bucket of freshwater. I swear, it seemed like the flatworms were still alive the next day?!?! :(

Going to dry out those rocks for a week or so.

Someone else gave me some base rock he picked up. The person he got them from used to do FOWLR.. or more like FOWDeadR. He would take a portion of his rocks out each month and bleach them and put them back in his tank :)

Anyway, the base rock had been sitting out in the yard for months when I got it, and was all bright white. I washed them and stuck them in my tank. The rocks are all purple and full of worms and stuff now.

I got a few months before I'm allowed to have my tank 100% operational.
So this is good time for me to start drying my rock out. I've got a creme brulee torch, maybe i'll give that a try.

In my experience flatworms disintegrates really fast in fresh water...die die!! As a precaution i'm going to use flatworm exit also.

Back