livestockusa group buy (GAUGING INTEREST)

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by Kremis, Sep 19, 2017.

1. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Ah gotcha, when I clicked the link on my phone from work it sent me to their main site instead of the pdf which said the $90-100 freight for a box.

Although that says $300 to LAX, so it'd be another $100 up here?

2. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

There's several I'd be interested in. I don't know if it would be worthwhile once the $300 is factored in but it would be worth a look.

3. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

If this works, we should organize a delivery before member swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

I may be interested. I will have to take a better look at the list tonight

5. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

The problem is it doesn't mathematically work for a lot of the cheap species people keep listing. Assuming you can get the full 20 animals in a box that still works out to $15.00 shipping per fish/invertebrate. So that $4.00 awesome deal is now a $19.00 overpriced deal. Kremis's example was correct -- it works on higher dollar species where a $75.00 Borb becomes a $90.00 Borb whch is still $60.00 cheaper than the lowest LFS price usually.

6. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

since we are on the west coast, shoudl be cheaper. i emailed them about this, and they have not responded.

bali blue only (the list i posted)

@Fish Boss ill add your stuff to the spreadsheet

the 15$ still makes it worthwhile for most of the fish, for example bimacs on here are like $4. 4 + 15 is 19, and they retail for 40+ generally. but if you wanted to buy a blue-green chromis that would not. im going to try and balance it out so people who get better deals pay a little more on shipping and vice versa. e.g. if you buy a borb, you pay $20 instead of $15 (still a great deal) or if you buy something like a lyretail anthis (4$) maybe you only pay 10 shipping because they retail for 20/30$

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  7. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

The bimac was actually one of the species I was looking at. I was thinking 5 of them. They are small so they wouldn't count much towards the 20 I wouldn't think.

8. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

yeah the email said 20 medium ish fish, or 12 large, or 100-150 damsels... so id assume as long as we dont all order tangs we can get more than 20 fish..

9. Bruce Spiegelman

I suppose there's no way to request male or female?

10. Bruce Spiegelman

Now I want 150 damsels!

11. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

They show Tukas! Wonder how many can I squeeze into a box!

12. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

i believe I can email them to request male/females, but ill double check. whats a tukas?

13. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Reread the terms and conditions when you guys get a chance. I'm pretty sure the $300 only covers the shipment from Bali to the transhipper. The fish are then rebagged, reoxygenated, and then shipped out for an additional cost, which is $60-75 as they have listed for West Coast. From my previous experience it's been $50-$65/box from LAX back up to NorCal (Oakland) when I ordered a large number of freshwater fish and shrimps for SFBAAPS.

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that the $300, plus the shipping cost up here, for the 20 or so fish is a fixed cost. The transhipper will only guarantee DOAs and not 24 hours (that's the time that you have to file the claim), you're still left with the bill for the shipping regardless. It's something to consider if you're looking at say 2-3 fish where you're gonna pay $30-45+ on shipping and getting back $5-10 in credit.

Lastly, expect substitutions if they have to fulfill another order that's for a higher number of fish. Take for instance the bimacs. There's currently only 10 on the list, so if someone wants to order 10 of them and you only need 5, then the other order gets priority over yours. You'll end up with substitutions. Consider that in advance, and be prepared with lyretails or something that's more abundant on their list that they will sub in.

14. Bruce Spiegelman

Now I want 150 Tukas!

15. Bruce Spiegelman

If you speak Yiddish a tukas is your hind end. If you speak fish it's a Purple Queen Anthias.

16. Bruce Spiegelman

Considering the discussion we briefly had last week about some of our sponsors being disgruntled about the lack of support from us to them I do wonder why wouldn't work a similar deal directly with one of them? I've looked at the wholesale fish list at a local LFS many times and my recollection is prices are fairly similar. Why don't we ask one of our sponsors that if we guarantee an order of X number of fish (as a club prior to a club event) can we get them at cost plus $300.00? It's the same deal for us and it goes through one of our sponsors and then to a wholesaler they have a good relationship with. Just a thought. Don't get me wrong -- if it doesn't work out close to the same I still want a $75.00 Borbonius!

Coral reefer likes this.
  17. Bruce Spiegelman

In a way our policy here should always be "sponsors first." At least try them and see. #MSGA (Make Sponsors Great Again)

18. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

their policy on substitutions is that everyone gets equal, so if someone wants 100 bimacs and someone wants 5 and there are only 10, each group will get 5. And you are correct, the 300 only coveres bali to LAX, so itll be a little bit more. You are right on the DOA's though. its not the price of the fish, its the price of the shipping that will bite you.

i mean if we can get something like this going with a sponsor by all means lets do it, i prefer that over this. but the only reason why i even came across this website was because i was looking for garden eels, the stores here almost never get them.

19. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I'd have no problem going through one of our sponsors to do this if they were willing. When I saw this thread it did make me wonder what they would think of it.
    I noticed that there was some differentiation between sexes on some species on the list. Lyretails were the ones I saw split up.

Kremis likes this.
  20. Bruce Spiegelman

I think al ot of the reason they don't get them is they don't sell many. I've seen them on local lists before and there's two stores in Sac that often have them.