Cali Kid Corals

Living Water Planet Build 2.0

I started this hobby in the early 2010s and had a nice little reef growing on an Elos 70 build. I experimented with metal halides and ended up with LEDs by 2012. Unfortunately, I found myself in an ICU in a coma for more than a month and my tank crashed. I survived...barely, took the tank down, and sold all the surviving livestock and gear.

I find myself healthy again...mostly and ready to resurrect a new reef. I am thinking maybe a 150 gallon + rimless primarily for SPS. Debating between old school halides or LEDs or both. Also deciding whether to go back to an Elos or find something else less expensive so I can spend more on the rebuild.

Here was build 1.0 before its demise with a few of my favorite acroporas:

IMG - 2180.jpg
IMG - 5841.jpg
IMG - 6707.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful tank you had. Glad your health has recovered. Excited to see your new tank develop! 150 rimless, nice. Halides are tough in terms of energy consumption in this area, and temperature too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the feedback. I know Red Sea well. I started out with a Red Sea Max 130, but not really into the AIO. I like to experiment and customize with different gear. I can't make the event tomorrow, as I am actually going to check out a euro braced 180+.

I am excited to get back into the hobby after 4 years off. I am sure LEDs have improved. Acros, montis, and SPS in general are my thing, and they were not doing so well after I switched from halides [to save on heat and power] to Aqua Illuminations (AI) Sol First Gen LEDs. Also, loved my Maxima clam. I was never able to keep anemones alive for my clowns though. Hopefully, I will have better luck this time around. Maybe get a pair of ORA snowflake clowns...

What are the state-of-the-art LED fixtures these days? Current Gen AI? I loved my EcoTech Vortechs and saw that they are now into LEDs [Radion].

Thanks for all the feedback. I know Red Sea well. I started out with a Red Sea Max 130, but not really into the AIO. I like to experiment and customize with different gear. I can't make the event tomorrow, as I am actually going to check out a euro braced 180+.

I am excited to get back into the hobby after 4 years off. I am sure LEDs have improved. Acros, montis, and SPS in general are my thing, and they were not doing so well after I switched from halides [to save on heat and power] to Aqua Illuminations (AI) Sol First Gen LEDs. Also, loved my Maxima clam. I was never able to keep anemones alive for my clowns though. Hopefully, I will have better luck this time around. Maybe get a pair of ORA snowflake clowns...

What are the state-of-the-art LED fixtures these days? Current Gen AI? I loved my EcoTech Vortechs and saw that they are now into LEDs [Radion].

Most popular are
Ecotech Radion
AI Hydra
Kessil

If you have deep pocket Giesemann Aurora

Have you checked out the Red Sea Reefer (not Max) series?

NICE! Those sizes are exactly what I am looking for. +/- $3000 for those AIO? BTW, great job on your live rock composition. Love how you built up the structure on the left side.

The Reefer are not AIO (like the MAX). You get tank/stand/sump/ato/plumbing (+light if you get the deluxe version). You still have to add the rest (skimmer, return pump, heater, light, wave maker)

I can't take credit for the rock work. We only had the concept and @jestersix built it. A lot of tank in the club have rock built by him.

Thanks everyone for the great leads and advice on live rock structures, tanks, and LEDs. I feel like I am up to speed now and will likely have a busy weekend! I am also going to a robotics incubator called Robot Garden in Livermore to check out their aquaculture automation projects. Fun to start from scratch again and plan a completely app-automated reef along side with the Bay Area reefing community!

Thanks everyone for the great leads and advice on live rock structures, tanks, and LEDs. I feel like I am up to speed now and will likely have a busy weekend! I am also going to a robotics incubator called Robot Garden in Livermore to check out their aquaculture automation projects. Fun to start from scratch again and plan a completely app-automated reef along side with the Bay Area reefing community!

That is pretty neat. Any place with a laser cutter & CNC is interesting to me.

I don't think those are AIO, rather seem to have an internal OF-box.
There's a Leemar on craigslist https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/for/6037363902.html pretty sweet dimensions

I was looking for Elos USA (Jesse) on the web and the site was gone. The European website is totally different. Checked on Craigslist as suggested, and I just happen to find, you guessed it, Jesse. He even remembered me and loading my Elos 70 into my wife's old Lexus 350 (barely fit in hers and will definitely not fit in my Mini Cooper).

On Monday, I took delivery of a bunch of his old gear, including a 180g+ (48x30x30) custom euro-braced glass tank and stainless steel "lab grade" stand. Elos Planet 2 fixture, Elos NS1000 skimmer, sump, fuge, pumps, etc., etc., etc.

RO/DI is now hooked up. Formerly live rocks have been pressure washed and are ready for aquascaping. Photos should be up soon. I guess I can call this Elos 2.0 XXL. The new WiFi enabled Apex shipped by Amazon yesterday, and it appears to integrate with the legacy x10 modules mounted inside the stand.

It's been a really long time since I started a reef tank. Water or rock scape first?

It's been a really long time since I started a reef tank. Water or rock scape first?

Rock scape outside the tank as much as you can. Fill tank 3/4 with salt water to help you place the rock once you're ready. Salt water helps with buoyancy. Those rock formations get really heavy when glued together, so get some extra hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking for Elos USA (Jesse) on the web and the site was gone. The European website is totally different. Checked on Craigslist as suggested, and I just happen to find, you guessed it, Jesse. He even remembered me and loading my Elos 70 into my wife's old Lexus 350 (barely fit in hers and will definitely not fit in my Mini Cooper).

On Monday, I took delivery of a bunch of his old gear, including a 180g+ (48x30x30) custom euro-braced glass tank and stainless steel "lab grade" stand. Elos Planet 2 fixture, Elos NS1000 skimmer, sump, fuge, pumps, etc., etc., etc.

RO/DI is now hooked up. Formerly live rocks have been pressure washed and are ready for aquascaping. Photos should be up soon. I guess I can call this Elos 2.0 XXL. The new WiFi enabled Apex shipped by Amazon yesterday, and it appears to integrate with the legacy x10 modules mounted inside the stand.

How'd you fit it in the Lexus? And what does lab grade mean in regards to a stainless steel stand?

Back