Cali Kid Corals

Look down camera box Q

1 cup with wide lid + 1 piece of acrylic.. .there's my DIY camera box, looks ghetto as all hell but the cup fits perfectly around the camera lens barrel, and I can submerge the lens without any leaking. I may have the DIY here, I did get a brief mention in one of Sanjay's articles in A.A. though :D

sfsuphysics said:
1 cup with wide lid + 1 piece of acrylic.. .there's my DIY camera box, looks ghetto as all hell but the cup fits perfectly around the camera lens barrel, and I can submerge the lens without any leaking. I may have the DIY here, I did get a brief mention in one of Sanjay's articles in A.A. though :D

Know which issue? I sent him pics for that article but I don't know if he used them or not :)

Thanks for the help, I'll try the tube version and Melevs in the near future since I don't have an SLR
TAP has one cheap piece of cylindrical plexi laying on the shelf for quite some time now, will snap it Monday.

Two comments on construction.

I used to used 4" black ABS so the outside light wouldn't reflect off the clear bottom lense. This is good and bad. Bad part is it blocks light and you can get shadows. Using clear resolves that issue but if you move the box just right the light kills the shot.

For a non SLR why not just get one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Following-Powershot-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0012O9H5W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1242667100&sr=8-2

I have a DicAPac for my P&S and it works great, cheap too!

Like in that article Mike posted (which my picture was of) :)

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/5/aafeature2/

Jake Adam simply loves his. It goes everywhere with him.

Went to TAP but they did not have the little cylinder I spotted...
So will make one like Melevs.
I looked into the camera bags but my little camera is a knock off of an SLR (Panasonic) , has the protruding zoom lens.
I would get an SLR but sad thing is I have no job (steady) and my family comes first.
Years ago when the first EOS 1 came out (Film) I bought the freaking thing along with two nice lenses, a flash, top of the line 430EZ, power booster, back up EOS 630/620 I got myself in debt so bad, only to have a "friend" steal it and run away with it to Mexico
No more SLR's for me ever since.
Now I'm kind of OK with point and shoot.

Back