Looking for a Gyre Pump with Controller

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by daddio, Oct 16, 2017.

1. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

Looking for a cheap used Maxspect gyre (with controller) to get us started on the road to better flow
    Thanks! Mark & Peter
  2. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Webmaster

Those are hard to clean FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  3. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

I am wondering if this is a good pump. Would it be compatible with other maxspect gyres?
    Maxspect Gyre XF150 Generator Flow Pump
  4. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Webmaster

That’s what Bruce told me, get in touch with him and see what he got

5. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

They are not hard to clean -- it's just that you can't just grab the wetside and toss it in vinegar at each cleaning if you're cords run behind your stand etc. It's easy to brush off, but you do have to unplug and take the entire unit out to clean. Not a huge deal if you hook it up with that in mind.

The 150's are great and incredibly strong (up to 5000gph.) I am currently running one on each of my tanks. The key though is to make sure they weren't produced in the original batch as those had some issues with the rotors.
    daddio likes this.
  6. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

I am just wondering if it is worth spending a little more to get a new one with all the bells and whistles? How do you know if one came from the original batch? What is a good price for a used one with controller?
  7. Bruce Spiegelman

$100.00-$150.00. Ask them what the manufacture date was. Makes sure it's not more than about 16 months old. What bells and whistles do you want? How big is your tank?
  8. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

DT is 65g. I dont know what bells and whistles I need. I just read that the new ones are programable and you can run 2 with the same controller. I am currently running 20 year old powerheads. My hob overflow box doesnt like a lot of sloshing though. I dont know if that is a concern with gyres?
  9. Bruce Spiegelman

YOu won't need bells and whistles running an XF150 in a 65 gallon. As noted it will pump up to 5000 gph. Just one properly placed running at about 20-30% will do all you need.
  10. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

You can also get an icecap Gyre that's a lot cheaper new $150

11. Reefinglens

Reefinglens Supporting Member

A xf150 is plenty for your tank. You can even buy the new controller and connect the xf150 and add a xf250 if you decide to later down the road.

I might even recommend the xf130 or xf230 and run it at about 60%-70% because those are currently the only models you can use with the apex of you plan on connecting one to help control and monitor.

I run the xf130 (horizontally @ 30%-40%) on my 46 gal and the newer xf280 (vertically mounted @ max 30% and -50% with 13 different modes scheduled through out the day) on my 90 gallon mixed reef; SPS LPS and mushroom and polyp colonies.

I’ve had MP40s and MP10s and much rather prefer the gyres (especially the 200 series because of the controllability).

Keep us posted with your decision either way :)