Looking For A Nice LED Refugium Light??

Discussion in 'Diablo Corals' started by eldiablosrt8, Mar 12, 2012.

1. eldiablosrt8

eldiablosrt8 Sponsor

Well let me start off by explaining what were doing at Diablo Corals. I am working with a LED company from the Bay Area(Lighting Techniks) to get us all the best LED refugium light for the best price. Over the next few weeks i will be posting all of the results(mind you we already have 2 weeks of trial with very good results.

We will be using them on all of our tanks but we will be tracking the 57 gallon illuminata and the 240 gallon sps frag tank. so far we have sideview and topview picsof the 57 gallon refugium and frontviews of the 240. Here are some pics we have after 2 weeks of use. i also will post the old lights in place as well so you can see the difference. I will continue to update this thread.

The LED par20 bulbs will retail for $29.99 and the PAR30 bulbs will retail for $39.99 and will be stocking both in stock. These bulbs will fit your standard socket and will be an easy way to add a powerful crisp light to make the macro grow....

57 gallon Illuminata:
    23w CFL 5500k
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

PAR30 LED Bulb 800 lumens
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

240 gallon frag tank
    65w 10k CF bulb
    [​IMG]

PAR30 LED Bulb
    [​IMG]

Par20 5800k-6200k Bulb:
    [​IMG]

The AQUA R-Series was designed for a simple replacemet of the CFL or Halogen which uses a E26/27 base and provides an even distibution of LED light in your refugium.
    High-Intensity LEDs The high itensity LED’s produce approximately 400 maximum lumens when turned up all the way while only consuming a maximum of 7 watt per bulb. The new higher output design still creates minimal heat and lasts an amazing 40,000 hours. the AQUA R-Series Small provides a small, even distribution of LED light with a focused brighter spot center, perfect for small refugiums. For larger tanks, we have the AQAU R-Series Large available.

PAR30 5800-6200k Bulb:
    [​IMG]

The AQUA R-Series was designed for a simple replacemet of the CFL or Halogen which uses a E26/27 base and provides an even distibution of LED light in your refugium.
    High-Intensity LEDs The high itensity LED’s produce approximately 800 maximum lumens when turned up all the way while only consuming a maximum of 12 watt per bulb. The new higher output design still creates minimal heat and lasts an amazing 40,000 hours. the AQUA R-Series Small provides a small, even distribution of LED light with a focused brighter spot center, perfect for larger refugiums. For smaller tanks, we have the AQAU R-Series Small available.

We have sold over 30 of these bulbs and there is another LFS using these refugium bulbs but we have not been able to make contact to see if the like them or if they sell them. the word from the manufacturer is 2 of the employees say they work amazing and have done a great job with growth and color of the chaeto. We hope with this write up and with all the info we can gather and pics to prove growth we will be able to provide the community with a cheaper longer lasting refugium bulb alternitive.

We will be offering the above price through our store only. If you were to order online the bulbs are apprx. $10 more through the manufacturer. This is a bonus for buying local and the manufacturer is allowing Diablo Corals to offer you this special pricing, so take advantage and upgrade that old stone age CFL or CF bulb and move into modern times with these amazing PAR LED bulbs.....

2. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

Jess,

I'm a little confused. Check and see if I've got this correct, OK?

Two bulbs, PAR20 and PAR30.
    Both 5800-6200K
    PAR20 = 400 lumens @ 7 watts for $29.99
    PAR30 = 800 lumens @ 12 watts for $39.99

Is the PAR20 an AQUA R Series (small) and the PAR30 an AQUA R Series (Large)?

You totally lost me on the coverage.

These sound great and at a great price.

Oh, one more thing. Can they be dimmed? If so, how?

Thanks...

3. eldiablosrt8

eldiablosrt8 Sponsor

You are correct
    the PAR20 is the AQUA R Series (small) $29.99- Diablo Corals price only
    and the PAR30 is the AQUA R Series (large) $39.99- Diablo Corals price only

they are dimmable and the how to part i will ask.....

4. Not_Now_John

Not_Now_John Guest

You have it right. Sounds like it might be a good deal, might have to snag one of those once the CFL I have burns out.

Are all the LEDs the same color on these?

5. eldiablosrt8

eldiablosrt8 Sponsor

yes all the same color.... i have 5 on display at shop, both sizes. when you see them in person its actually a pretty sweet setup for the price

6. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Not a half shabby price for the bulb. I know that even in the big box stores companies like GE are still trying to extort a small fortune for similar spot lights. I'd be interested to see long term results, the "heatsink" seems a bit small considering these will be on probably 12+ hours at a stretch, even though each bulb is only putting out a little over a watt each.

7. jellygeee

jellygeee Guest

Question from a newbie: is this any different from the Cree bulbs that Costco sell?

8. eldiablosrt8

eldiablosrt8 Sponsor

Im going to be honest i dont know the specs of that bulb. But i do beleive that bulb cost more when it isnt on sale iirc

9. houser

houser Past President

Field trip to your shop!

10. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

Not to be pesty but...

any new info on the dimmable question?

Thanks...

11. eldiablosrt8

eldiablosrt8 Sponsor

Any dimmable socket will socket will work