Jestersix

Looking for anemone

Hey all,
I've decided that my clownfish need an anemone. They are tired of being vagrants. Looking for almost anything $30 or less.

There are many different types of anemones. Do you know what clownfish you have? As in percula vs ocellaris? The more common bubble tip anemone is not the natural host for clowns but sometimes one can get lucky. Many people have BTA and clowns that never touch the nem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are many different types of anemones. Do you know what clownfish you have? As in percula vs ocellaris? The more common bubble tip anemone is not the natural host for clowns but sometimes one can get lucky. Many people have BTA and clowns that never touch the nem.

5539b9b734fb25997faf7db25ee2c01d.jpg
cad058f7faba1deaba910c07f0a9d783.jpg

I'm not quite sure what type they are. Maybe you can tell by these pics.

5539b9b734fb25997faf7db25ee2c01d.jpg
cad058f7faba1deaba910c07f0a9d783.jpg

I'm not quite sure what type they are. Maybe you can tell by these pics.

Well, between percula and ocellaris there is not much difference. Some clownfish have certain nems that are the natural host.

I saw a neat video where Melev used a clear tube to slide juvenile clowns into a sebae anemone thus increasing the chances of success.

Good luck finding a nice nem.

i can sell you a smaller maybe 2 inch diameter RBTA for 15$. PM if interested. Also willing to trade. I have a group of around 11 rbtas on 1 rock, becuase they keep splitting for some reason. these host my spawning ocellaris. the natural host for ocellaris i believe are carpet anemones.

Last edited:
Those are A. occellaris clownfish. Natural hosts are H. magnifica, S. gigantea and S. mertensii.

There is no guarantee your clownfish will accept any other kind of anemone. Though sometimes occellaris are less picky. My DaVinci is in a M. doreensis (LTA). Took it about 3 months to accept it.

I have been thinking about tearing down the tank the LTA is in. Let me know if you want to try a purple LTA. It's pretty big right now. Fully open, it's about 7-9".

1e31d9587043ec2ea53cecdff2237547.jpg

Those are A. occellaris clownfish. Natural hosts are H. magnifica, S. gigantea and S. mertensii.

There is no guarantee your clownfish will accept any other kind of anemone. Though sometimes occellaris are less picky. My DaVinci is in a M. doreensis (LTA). Took it about 3 months to accept it.

I have been thinking about tearing down the tank the LTA is in. Let me know if you want to try a purple LTA. It's pretty big right now. Fully open, it's about 7-9".

1e31d9587043ec2ea53cecdff2237547.jpg

Would you sell them the clown with the LTA? ;) just looking out for you Peter.

I wish clowns could host in aiptasia! LOL!

I think Kremis' BTAs would work fine. I have clowns hosting in my RBTA and greenish BTAs with no issue. Oscellaris.

As others have said, no guarantees. I had an Ocellaris pair that decided to live in my frogspawn yet I had a RBTA just a couple of feet from it. Then after 3y....yes 3y, they decided to take up residence in my nem.

I have four Ocellaris. They've been i a tank with two RBTA's and numerous euphyllias for over a year and never even get close to the bottom of the tank to find a host. They have snubbed everything and prefer surfing in the power heads all day.

Back