Looking for ideas on speakers

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Raddogz, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

Come give your opinion on who you would like to see at our upcoming meetings.

2. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

I've always been more drawn towards the "practical" speakers on more common stuff, like DIY, how things work, etc. More so than "name" speakers like Calfo, Burr, et.al or towards a very specific field, i.e. the guy on mantis shrimp sure was informative, but not something that really catches my fancy.

3. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

So define "practical speakers"?

Local hobbyiests, or just to change the subject a little meetings on "how do I do this ...?"

Just looking for ideas.

4. LeviT

LeviT Guest

I guess "practical" can have different meanings but I like that idea. How certain reactors work and even instructions on making them and even informational topics like keeping certain livestock sounds good too.

5. sfsuphysics

Well what I mean by practical is anyone who knows how to do something that they can pass that info onto us reefers to possible help. So DIYs, Andy did an informative talk on controllers (homemade ones too) back in the day of TP meetings, The lumenarc guy was fun to listen to, someone who could do a talk on state of the art controllers that we could buy (neptune systems or digital aquatics come to mind AC & RK series), a pro talking on skimmers could be fun as long as he/she is not trying to whore their product off (and I don't mean that in an insulting way :)). DIY, How-tos, and the like are always my favorite types of meetings, other ones where someone talks about a particular topic, while nice occasionally, just seems to have been the norm as of recently (and I don't mean to insult past VPs who have put them together).

The Calfo's of the world are great but just doesn't really get my juices going.

6. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

I'm interested in a few things:

1. Maybe someone who can speak about some aspects of the real reef out there, so we can sort of get back to the roots a little and learn abot the real world. Maybe we'll get some new ideas etc. I wold be interested in hearing about really different kinds of reefs, like lagoon, reef crest, booms, etc.

2. Maybe find someone on aquatic photography forum who is a pro or serious hobbist to give us a lowdown on some tank photography and maybe even underwater photography.

I guess these are slightly off topic, but fun interesting things =)

... Maybe a financial adviser would be good too ;)

7. northbay-reefer

northbay-reefer Honorary Member

1, Have we done a meeting about the current condition of the reef and how depleted or endanger it is yet? maybe a video of this can be purchased and show at one of the meeting. I went to the polynesian cutural center in hawaii and saw a simmilar video and was taken back by it.

2, I always wanted to see the way corals are being maricultured, it would be nice to have a meeting about that with speakers and video on that matter.

3, DIY meeting would be cool, people can show off some of their DIY ideas

4, Club members only fleamarket meeting, all about selling, buying, personal frags swapping and club raffles :D :D free for all LOL maybe the whole saler on the ground floor can open for bussiness too ;) and local stores can have a booth too :D :D

8. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

These are all great ideas :D

9. checkrazr

checkrazr Guest

Eileen - I second "how to do" type speakers. I for one for am looking for ways to upgrade my tank and are often awed/confused by the many different products out there. It be great to get some insights on the pros and cons on the various types of lighting, skimmers and calc reactors, adding flow, controller or piping, etc. and most importantly...how to install them. Just seeing all these options and perhaps how they are used in various tank steups would be a big bonus for me.

10. tuberider

tuberider Guest

I'd be interested in hearing from Bob (ASAP), or another person aware of the supply chain, current CITES regulations, to help us make proper livestock selections.

It would be fun to have a DIY fair, say if you want to know how to make rock, or a simple skimmer. Perhaps we can have a few different projects going on simultaneously so people can make things that are practical to them, and since there are so many knowledgeable people in the club we can get a few lead people to instruct. If we take pics it could benefit the DIY section of the forum.

I personally am interested in hearing from Calfo, Sprung, Delbeek, Moe, Theil, etc. (just kidding about Theil) as well, each has had an impact on the way I approach the hobby.

11. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Sanjay(lighting, large tank set-up, etc)
    Jake A. (water flow talk a must for club members) (can do a good set-up/plumbing talk as well)
    Adam B. (numerous great talks)
    Frank B. (reef parasites)
    Brian Plankis (invert breeding)
    Rob Toonen
    Eric Cohen (Sea Dwelling Creatures) (COC)
    Bob/Robert (ASAP) (COC)
    Scott M (Reef fish suitabel for reef aquariums)
    Roy T. (NOAA lead investigator - see if he can chime in on the reg. of the trade, etc - he's local)
    Matt (MP) (Breeding MO fish)

to name a quick few :)

A MakeFair type deal sounds interesting as well but seems like quite aproject to get so many people doing their own thing.

12. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=2597.msg26941#msg26941 date=1195420746]It would be fun to have a DIY fair, say if you want to know how to make rock, or a simple skimmer. Perhaps we can have a few different projects going on simultaneously so people can make things that are practical to them, and since there are so many knowledgeable people in the club we can get a few lead people to instruct. If we take pics it could benefit the DIY section of the forum.[/quote]

We could even do that like the school science fair exhibits if it was too much trouble to set up real time demos of acrylic fabrication, aragocrete, or whatever. People can set up displays and samples of their subject, and everybody can go around to different tables to check things out and ask questions.

13. sfsuphysics

That sounds good Norman, if you ever get moving in this direction definitely open up a topic to start the brain storming going, could have people nominate others based on a DIY they've done (woodworking, fabrication, ahem frag tank making ;)), or just people throwing up an idea they want to make/document to show off. Make sure everyone takes digital photos and documents everything electronically then add those to the future BAR DIY library (sorry Dave/Rich don't mean to make more work for you :D). Have various prizes for different catagories allow BOD members to vote, allow members to vote, have food, balloons, pony rides!!!! (okey maybe the the balloons are too much).