Looking for smallish fish - i.e. WTB/WTT

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by Dyngoe, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Guest

Hey All,

If you are regulars to this forum you know of my problems during my last move and of my recent scare with ich. Well, I'm a few days from restocking my tank with a few fish but I know I'll want more. I really don't want to buy fish from a LFS and I don't have exotic tastes so I was hoping to adopt any fish you may not want. While I do have a 120G with lots of cool tunnels and caves I would prefer smaller fish right now to give the "illusion" of a larger tank. So, if you have anything that would fit this description I'm open to trade or buy. I'd prefer to trade as I have many extra corals sitting in my frag tank and tons of misc parts sitting in storage. Thanks for looking.

2. phishphood

phishphood Guest

Eibli angel considered small'ish' in your eyes?

3. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Guest

Yes, I would consider a pigmy angel on the small side. Why? I assume you may have one to part with?

4. phishphood

phishphood Guest

Took it out of my 37g due to it snacking on my various LPS...so that's a heads up on that. I think it also started checking out my pocillopora. Right now it's just hanging out in my 20long soon-to-be planted marine, but if you would like it we could probably work something out.

5. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Guest

Hmmm....snacks on LPS. DARN! I have a couple of brain corals that would probably just be candy for it.

6. phishphood

phishphood Guest

Yup. Just thought I'd toss it out there, but I have no problem keeping it too. If I can ever find a tailspot blenny, my biclor would be available too. But I'll let you know when that happens...

7. Jombo

Jombo Guest

I have a yellow clown goby if you're interested. But there is that possibility that he might nip on SPS polyps... I don't know if you want to take that risk. I'm scared of putting him in my tank because I don't want to risk the possibility of a having a nipper. he's just sitting in a 5 gallon holding tank for now.

8. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Guest

Hey Jumbo,

A yellow clown goby....I always like they way they looked. Let me do some research and see what I find. If nothing else I can put him in a QT with a frag of my LPS and see what happens. ;)

9. LeviT

LeviT Guest

Hey Matt. Life has just been nuts so the 90g isn't going up anytime soon so I may (have to make sure I am not going to anger the family unit :)) give up my blue tang or my fix face. lmk if you are interested, they are both currently only about.... 4 inches each which is still smallish in my book.

10. zambavi

zambavi Guest

[quote author=Jombo link=topic=5885.msg74242#msg74242 date=1231878854]
    I have a yellow clown goby if you're interested. But there is that possibility that he might nip on SPS polyps... I don't know if you want to take that risk. I'm scared of putting him in my tank because I don't want to risk the possibility of a having a nipper. he's just sitting in a 5 gallon holding tank for now.
    [/quote]

I've kept a yellow clown goby for a long time in a tank with SPS without it ever nipping at them. What it does do though is perch in the SPS which irritates them and can cause problems.... just a thought.

11. itsacrispy

itsacrispy Supporting Member

Hey Matt, I have a royal gramma if you're interested. LMK.

12. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Guest

YES! I would absolutely LOVE a royal gramma. Send me a PM on what you are lacking and I'll do what I can to fill that void.

Levi, glad to hear you are still considering an upgrade and I hope it will happen for you soon. You will love the 90G, it really is a great tank. I forget exactly how big your fish are but I believe I was impressed with the Fox Face. If you want to part with it I will gladly give it a new home. I can finally say my tank is 100% guaranteed ich free (going on 9 weeks with no fish).

Jumbo, I did some research on the clown goby and I feel comfortable putting one in my tank. Just like Crispy, PM me your wish list and I'll do what I can to fulfill it.

Thanks everyone. I'm so excited to be filling up my tank soon. It's not the same when there are no fish to watch.

13. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

[quote author=zambavi link=topic=5885.msg74263#msg74263 date=1231881638]
    [/quote]

I've kept a yellow clown goby for a long time in a tank with SPS without it ever nipping at them. What it does do though is perch in the SPS which irritates them and can cause problems.... just a thought.
    [/quote]

Ditto...they also can create nests if you have two...then they strip the flesh from an area of some SPS.

14. bigdeeezy

bigdeeezy Guest

hey matt i have a red sea clarkii clown if you want him

15. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Guest

Thanks Deez but I already have my one clown. I had five and just traded in the four I didn't want.

16. Lyn

Lyn Guest

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5885.msg74591#msg74591 date=1231976541]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Ditto...they also can create nests if you have two...then they strip the flesh from an area of some SPS.
    [/quote]

I thought they were specific to acroporas. They lay their eggs on the underside of the coral which irritates it and causes tissue recession.

That being said, I really like them. They are funny, will watch you and beg for food. They stick really well to the glass, like a gecko. :) My kids and I miss the one we used to have.

I've thought about getting another one, but that was before I kept corals. Let me know how your experiment goes Matt. :)

17. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Guest

Why do I have this feeling like I'm the king's food taster? ;D I'm hoping for the best because I read a bunch of reviews that said similar things about the personality of the goby. Personally I love my algae blenny and how he "lays around" so I'm hoping for a more colorful version of him. Hopefully they don't compete for the one colony of acro I have left.

18. Lyn

Lyn Guest

[quote author=Dyngoe link=topic=5885.msg74704#msg74704 date=1231995440]
    Why do I have this feeling like I'm the king's food taster? ;D I'm hoping for the best because I read a bunch of reviews that said similar things about the personality of the goby. Personally I love my algae blenny and how he "lays around" so I'm hoping for a more colorful version of him. Hopefully they don't compete for the one colony of acro I have left.
    [/quote]

LOL ;D Sorry Matt ;D

I really do like these little fish-all of them, the green ones, pandas, blacks, yellows, and Citrons. My yellow was a busy body. Anytime you came near, he'd quickly stick to the front of the glass waiting to be fed. He also liked hovering in the water column. If a larger fish bullied him or pushed him, he didn't do anything about it except scoot to a rock ledge for lookout (I believe they produce a noxious slime on their bodies). He didn't quarrel with any other fish, including other clown gobies. ( I had a green one that didn't last long but before it died, the yellow would snuggle up to it) They have tons of personality! :D

I should also tell you that my ocellaris clowns couldn't stand him. Must be the similar shape, but they would get so upset and push him away anytime he was near. I hope your algae blenny doesn't bully him. Algaes are much bigger, and they can get territorial about certain home base rocks.

19. 650-IS350

650-IS350 Supporting Member

Hey Matt, if your ever down here near SF. I have a Fisher Pygmy Angel, 2 green chromis and 1 Banghai? to trade for some Polyps>

20. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=5885.msg74701#msg74701 date=1231994967]
    [quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5885.msg74591#msg74591 date=1231976541]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I thought they were specific to acroporas. They lay their eggs on the underside of the coral which irritates it and causes tissue recession.

That being said, I really like them. They are funny, will watch you and beg for food. They stick really well to the glass, like a gecko. :) My kids and I miss the one we used to have.

I've thought about getting another one, but that was before I kept corals. Let me know how your experiment goes Matt. :)
    [/quote]

Yes and no. There was very little irritation with my friends and a whole lot of picking with the mouth to remove the flesh. Eggs will not attach to acro flesh so it need to be removed first ;)