Looking For: Someone to help with Designing the Members Frag Swap Flyer

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Enderturtle, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Hello,

BAR is looking for someone experienced in graphic design/making flyers. We need your help in designing an attractive and more importantly effective flyer. Emphasis on flashy, short, effective. This will not be a big flyer, probably slightly bigger than 8.5 x 11 inches. Click the flyer for one of our last events for an example.

BAR_poster_version1.jpg

We want to let people know about the upcoming swap and increase our membership.

My first time ever hearing about BAR was at Aqua Exotic in Belmont. There was a flyer for the Newbies Workshop and I saw that line about free corals. I was hooked! Went to the workshop, paid my 30$ members fee, went home with more than 30$ worth of corals and a wealth of information from our helpful BAR members.

So if you're interested in helping and making a positive difference here at BAR, please post here or send me a private message. This work can either be voluntary (preferred :)) or we can pay you but you will have to send me a private message with your price quote for preapproval.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    denzil likes this.
  2. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

I'm guessing the original file for the old flyer isn't available? just curious

3. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

To my knowledge, there is a template somewhere but I do not know where it is at the moment. If it shows up, I'll pass it along ASAP, since we need this flyer....well as soon as possible.

We are interested in new layouts/designs though.

And I can help with content/layout. I just don't know how to work the program that is typically used in flyer design. I imagine illustrator, photoshop, or microsoft word is what people usually use for this type of thing.

4. BAYMAC

BAYMAC Guest

InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Publisher, Word, Quark, lotsa programs will work... I suggest the first two on my list.

denzil likes this.
  5. Nav

Nav Director of Marketing & Photography

Mike, can u post content for the flyer? I'll try to do something quick when I get a chance...

Coral reefer and denzil like this.
  6. Nav

Can someone post the BAR vector logo?

7. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

@denzil @neuro To your knowledge do we have a vector file for the BAR logo? Or any components to the previous flyer's template?

@Nav Is a vector file absolutely necessary or can you work with jpeg/pdf/etc and convert to vector? My knowledge of flyer design/animation using these programs is very limited.

I'll be heading to diablo corals today to buy some things. After I get back around 2PM I can work on the flyer. Hooray for Presidents Day off!

8. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Unfortunately, I don't have any records of the vector logo and as a result, I was interested in interested in having the logo redesigned. For now, it'll need to be created in InDesign, Illustrator, or Photoshop at this point.

9. neuro

neuro Webmaster

i do not have a vector form of the BAR logo. Though, you can always use Illustrator to automatically create the vectors for you since the logo is monochromatic.

10. Nav

What! nobody has the logo source file? The flyers, website, tshirts all have the logo and some source file will have a transparent version that can be extracted.

Alfred, I already tried image trace in Illustrator but the output is not the greatest. See attachment
    Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 11.11.45 PM.png
    I'm sure someone has atleast a transparent PNG version (not vector) that can be used? Who designed the previous flyer? The logo in that is transparent...

11. neuro

neuro Webmaster

The font should be done using the text tool, as long as we know the font typeface.
    It won't take much to go in there and move some vectors around to fix the shapes.

The vector recreation is just a start. It brings you 90% of the way and the artist has to take it upon himself to do a final pass.

12. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Supporting Member

13. denzil

denzil Webmaster

14. Nav

15. BAYMAC

BAYMAC Guest

If it doesn't, I'm the one that dealt with this years ago and created a vector from the original really small image that was supplied to us.

16. FeliciaLynn

No problem. I have the AI files for the flier too, so I'll drop that in the Google Drive with the logos.

Nav likes this.
  17. FeliciaLynn

Geneva likes this.
  18. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Thanks, Felicia!

FeliciaLynn likes this.
  19. FeliciaLynn

No problem! Hope those help!

20. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

@Enderturtle - Mike - I think small flyers are a good idea too at LFS as Felicia mentioned above: Karson at Aquatic Collection likes to put these on the counter and in bags when people pay. That way people can just take one and know the website and date and stuff when they get home.