Neptune Aquatics

Looking to Add GFO to my tank.

Marc

Hey All its been a while!

I'm looking to add GFO to my tank. I'd like to lower the phosphates in my tank since I feed heavily. I wanted to get some feed back from people who have more experience than me.

Bouncing a couple ideas around.

1. "tee" off my return pump to feed the reactor

or

2. Get a unit with already a pump.

Please I'm a newbie with this equipment so point out the obvious as well. One thing I do know is, GFO media should not move around like bio pellets...

BTW any good recommendation on a brand of GFO reactor. One that can hang in my sump next to the skimmer would be nice.
file_zps82d680ca.jpg

I personally like using a separate pump, since I can control it with my controller. Turning it off and on with my phone allows for some flexibility.

I use the BRS setup, but there are probably much better ones out there. I am also trying to switch from using BRS's GFO media, since it's very powdery compared to other brands.

Looks like you don't have a lot of space

I personally like using a separate pump, since I can control it with my controller. Turning it off and on with my phone allows for some flexibility.

I use the BRS setup, but there are probably much better ones out there. I am also trying to switch from using BRS's GFO media, since it's very powdery compared to other brands.

Looks like you don't have a lot of space
Yep definitely not much space to work with!

Any thoughts on keeping the GFO in a media bag?

I think that is a good solution. I think having gfo in a bag isn't going to work all that great.

You'll find those phosban reactors used for cheap on reef central.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't get the phosban reactors. They suck. Cheap plastic parts and its hard to change the media.

I just got a BRS reactor and its awesome. Comes with a ball valve to control flow. Also get a separate pump. I bought the recommended cobalt mj1200. Things are going well! GFO is in my tank and I'm fighting hair algae.

Don't get the phosban reactors. They suck. Cheap plastic parts and its hard to change the media.

I just got a BRS reactor and its awesome. Comes with a ball valve to control flow. Also get a separate pump. I bought the recommended cobalt mj1200. Things are going well! GFO is in my tank and I'm fighting hair algae.
Thanks for the heads up! Thats exactly the info I need to know. My only concern at this point is space. I dont have much of it.

I know how you feel my sump cabinet is PACKED! Oh well you could have it hanging. It comes with a bracket that can mount onto screws.

Or you can buy extra ro tubing to alow u to place it farther away.

I like the brs unit fine, a little more space needed than the phosban one. I like both really. I disagree about it being hard to change media, and about a seperate pump. Maxijets are loud in case that matters. Def reccomend teeing off your return. Less noise. Less power. I use several if the two little fishes reactors and am happy with them.

I don't know anything about the reactor shown but it does seem like it would work. Reactors are simple devices. Not brain surgery!

The BRS is nice but large. I think it would be hard to fit in your setup.

I have a BRS dual reactor and run it off a Cobalt 1200. Works good but is a PIA to clean. Some day I'll learn how to do it w/o spilling water!

Just added phosban reactor 150 with separate pump 2 weeks ago to my 120 (hangs on back) and it immediately lowered my phosphate level....haven't had to change the media yet so can't comment on its difficulty but so far so good!

So what kind of flow should I be targeting? Do I pack the reactor with gfo media or is there an amount associated with total water volume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Regarding the quality of the reactor above. I'm going to stop by Neptunes and check it out first hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Go with what's reccomended on the brand of gfo you are using. Brs is 1 cup per 60 gal I believe. Starting slow w less media is advised. Don't want to change it way too fast. Flow is basically slow. Don't want media tumbling. Maybe just a tad on the surface.

Consider having 4 small GFO media bags dangling in the sump.
Replace a different one every week, in a line.

While bags are not normally so great, small ones have better surface area and less dead spots in the middle.
The one bag once/week makes maintenance simple and regular, and thus more likely to be done.
The net effect is changing each bag once a month, which is about right.
Plus, you get a fresh bag each week, avoiding spikes.

I had that, then switched to a BRS reactor, and regret it. Probably will switch back.

+1 on BRS GFO being really dusty.

Any thoughts on using Seachem Phosguard instead of GFO?
I am curious as well.
Aluminum oxide versus iron oxide. Which is better?
But key to me is the lack of dust, larger round balls, versus price.

Also: There is a POND Phosguard, which is about half the price.
Different? Or just marketing.

I have been told that sometimes corals have a bad reaction to it. Don't want to put words in his mouth but I think Jeremy told me that he attributed it to phos guard pulling out phosphates too quickly and could result in too much of a change too quickly.

Hmm, isn't that exactly what we all need? (Instantly get Phos out of the system).

Maybe start with smaller quantities...

Back