Looks like it's time for a portable ac unit for the garage and house for that matter

Discussion in 'Other Reef Talk' started by tankguy, Jun 3, 2016.

1. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

Hayward is roasting. Tank is getting hot during the day. House is blazing too. That's one thing I loved about the coast , natural ac

2. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

You moved from the coast to Hayward?

3. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

Had to. Couldn't afford any house on that side of the bay

4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Natural AC until you get that once every few years in the 90s with no wind blowing... then you do some lightless days and hope you already bought fans to blow across your tank :)

5. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

Yep got the fan but I need to get a better one

6. gimmito

gimmito Supporting Member

You are missed buddy.

7. gimmito

8. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

Thanks bro seems like it's been a very long time. You always have an open invitation to see how the lower half live over here

9. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

10. Ezy33

Ezy33 Guest

Bottles of frozen water as a temporary fix. I have a old school chiller I don't need. If you are interested.

11. gimmito

:D gotta swing by one of these days to check out the tank.

Ezy33 likes this.
  12. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

Thanks for the offer. Gonna hold off on using a chiller but appreciate your offer

13. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

I'm in Castro Valley which is right next to Hayward. Typically, there are only a handful of days where it is so hot that AC is required. Having fans blowing works very well and easier on the pocket-book rather than running the AC!! Welcome to the neighborhood!!

Ashalye likes this.
  14. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

His tank is in the garage though...not very insulated, might not be enough. Id be curious to see how well it works in there though

15. dswong01

dswong01 Supporting Member

Yup I concur with Geneva I am also a castro valley resident and maybe 2-3 weeks in summer the past fews years that AC is needed. but reverse light cycle works,(turn on lights later in evening when temp is cooler, fans blowing over surface of tank water, ice in containers/bottles placed in tank to cool are all good alternatives.

16. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

Yeah I kinda freaked out on that first hot day. Temps have calmed down since then and I did go buy a better fan to blow across the surface. Thanks for the welcome to the neighborhood. Good to know other reefers close by