Jestersix

Lost my canary blenny

Literally lost him, one day he is fine, eating and swimming around looking great. Next day no sign of him anywhere. I looked all over the floor and around the tank since he has jumped out once. I wonder if he was eaten in his sleep. There are nassarius snails and a tiger pistol shrimp but I doubt they could catch a healthy sleeping fish. What do you think happened to him? So now I have two very healthy, fat darwin clowns, a neon goby and a cute sixline wrasse. At least he was captive bred, I would feel a lot worse if he was wild.

How callus, I am already thinking of replacing him with a pygmy angel. Meh, prolly not a good idea. I had a flame angel in one of my old reef tanks that liked to nip at corals. I would like to replace him with something thats CB and swims around the tank. The clown fish pretty much just sit in the front corner of the tank until feeding time, the goby is rarely seen as he scurries around the rocks and the wrasse is either hiding or swimming around the tank so fast he is a blur. The blenny was great, bright yellow, swam out front and hovered like a humming bird over the rocks eating copepods. Oh woe is me, what happened to my blenny?!

First how big is your tank? Next also some of the cool fish you could possibly keep are....
African Pygmy Angel
Cherub Pygmy Angel
Pseudochromis
Mandarinfish( Ihad a spotted one that was very active)
Or if your tank is bigger you could do a tang or a (Big) Longnose Butterflyfish Fish.

Ok, this is a stretch but a possibility. When I do water changes I turn off my vortech, when the vortech is off the blenny likes to sit inside of the pump. I have to shoo him out before I turn it back on. Now the night before he went missing I set my vortech to slow at night, perhaps he was able to swim into the prop and get hurt and then eaten when he was injured. Another reason I think this might be possible is even when the pump is on he tries so hard to swim into the cover. He would swim into the current and then dive down towards the pump but during the day the water flow is too strong and he gets blown to the other side of the tank. Stupid fish.

nudibranch said:
First how big is your tank? Next also some of the cool fish you could possibly keep are....
African Pygmy Angel
Cherub Pygmy Angel
Pseudochromis
Mandarinfish( Ihad a spotted one that was very active)
Or if your tank is bigger you could do a tang or a (Big) Longnose Butterflyfish Fish.

My tank is very small, 17 gallons. I might just hold off on any more fish. The corals are all doing really well, everything is doing very nicely in fact. My first SPS frags I put in the tank, a blue acro and pink birds nest, are both growing really well. I just wish I would have something to bring to the frag swap in August.

My next tank I want a blue throat trigger.

Doesn't the six line move around? Oh yeah it is not bright colored so not as noticed. Most 'normal' people look at my tank and ask where are the fish.

I held off swapping my first couple because my own corals had not grown out. This will be my first with contributions. Could you help set up or take down the swap?

yardartist said:
Doesn't the six line move around? Oh yeah it is not bright colored so not as noticed. Most 'normal' people look at my tank and ask where are the fish.

I held off swapping my first couple because my own corals had not grown out. This will be my first with contributions. Could you help set up or take down the swap?

I would love to help, it will also give me an idea of the process and what I should prepare for. What time?

I've had problems with fangblennies (both CB and wild) as well. They eat, they're fat and happy, and either they disappear or they suddenly stop eating and wither away... not sure I've had any make it past the 1yr mark. Not sure what the problem is.

As for bright, bold fish... I've got a yellow tilefish available... :D

I saw a flashing tile fish at neptune, pretty awesome fish. I think they might be a little too big for my tank.
Is this what yours looks like? Pretty cool, I liked the body shape, kinda like a torpedo.
http://www.getahugetank.com/tile-fish-pi-468.html

Meh, I'm in no rush to get a new fish. Talking with my girlfriend she agrees that it was suicide by vortech. That fish had a death wish. Of course it could have been anything. The only thing that has me worried is he was captive bred and has always been healthy and eating well in my tank so I don't know how he could have died of natural causes (natural as in parasite or disease). So I hope it was suicide and not something wrong with my tank or something I did and could have prevented. Not sure how I could have prevented him from ramming his head into the vortech unless I put a large cover over it. Anyway its all speculation at this point, no body, no crime as they say.

treylane said:
I've had problems with fangblennies (both CB and wild) as well. They eat, they're fat and happy, and either they disappear or they suddenly stop eating and wither away... not sure I've had any make it past the 1yr mark. Not sure what the problem is.

I've had the same issues and as such stopped getting them all together :( Cool fish, just not one I should keep.

Back