Our mission

Lower light Zoas or Paly's?

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
I have a large shelf rock where I'm currently growing out a zoa garden. Above it is a rock that has some zoas growing nicely down a gradual sloping front. I'd like to find a zoa or two that I can spread down the side as well, but it receives somewhat shaded lights. Any thoughts of what might work? Or is it just hit or miss with every colony being different regardless of type or species?

Purely anedoctal and from my small sample size of frag plugs in lower light, but smaller polyp zoas like rastas and eagle eyes seem to do okay. And like @Gablami said, my larger polyp zoas will stretch their stalks to reach the light even though they're at the same light level as the smaller zoas.

Low light for me at max light cycle though is still at least 80 par.

Most of my zoas are on the sandbed where the light isn't very high. They're getting like 70-100 on the PAR meter last time that I checked. No elongation on any of the stalks.

Rastas, PPEs, utter chaos, and some sort of vampire zoas in the background.
sandbed_zoas_022217.jpg

Last edited:
I the majority should be fine. I have had problems with zoas getting too much light but not really vice versa. I have some purple deaths and grandis in particularly shaded areas.

I second @RandyC on eagle eyes surviving OK in shade. But zoas are much better in light. This colony is under an overhang but occasionally one side gets a little light reflected on it. You can see how they brown out and get smaller and more stretchy further into the shade.
94de0ac625039a85a4040bebd7f2b33e.jpg

e8aa13b2d23849b9e5166ec079420dd2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back