Reef nutrition

LPS(acan) question

DSC_0342.jpg

this pink acan is deflated all of a sudden but the othe acan is still full and healthy looking. the pink acan use to be huge and has like 9 heads on that frag plug..... ANYONE??? this is my first issue with any LPS...

DSC_0343.jpg

Tony FYI thats your lil frag of miami hurricane... its doing real good under the reefbrites

I have an A.. echinata that periodically flattens out to the skeleton. It may last several hours, but always puffs up again. I know what you mean about corals doing new tricks. The first time this A. echinata expelled its algae in brown puffs I just knew it was dying. I hope yours is back to normal in the morning.

How long have you had it? How long has it been deflated?

I have one acan and it does go through periods of looking sad, usually doesn't last more than a day. I wouldn't worry about. Its still growing and eating, perhaps its just part of its manic depression.

Really hard to tell from the picture as there's way too much blue saturating it, but can you actually see the skeleton of the acan? If you can't see the skeleton, I wouldn't worry too much, if you see it receding into the skeleton maybe worry a bit. Sometimes the flow just isn't right, or it's too much light, or worse you have something picking at it (peppermint shrimp, or hell any kind of shrimp for that matter). If it's just a little droopy and not puffed up I wouldn't worry terribly much.

Back