Jestersix

Lucky Day for Perc + Me

MolaMola

Supporting Member
OMG. Most stressful afternoon in ages.
Reef club students fed 10-yr clownfish pair homemade fish food as usual. Later I saw the female lying motionless, nose down against a powerhead cover intake. As has happened in the past, she had a large or multiple pieces of food in her mouth. I tried to move her but she drifted upside down onto the sandbed! Thank goodness it is a science classroom - my teacher neighbor was leaving, but grabbed tweezers and I held the fish, pried the mouth open and pulled out a lump of hard fish meat! She instantly looked a tiny bit better, but then spent several minutes vertically in the corner, again motionless and appearing paralyzed. So weird to see a clownfish still! Maybe in shock. Left her alone, swished water a few times, added an airstone. Her mate came over a few times. Eventually she swam, rested, swam, regained balance, and moved fins. Looked better an hour later when I left. Hope she is okay in the morning. Now that it's over I'm exhausted! How ridiculous is that?!

Well, she looks fine today with her jazzy little swim motion. Yikes.
I will certainly be cutting the food smaller and more carefully in the future! It is frozen homemade food chunks that I cut little pieces off of before thawing. Maybe I will try grating it while frozen.

Back