Lucky Day for Perc + Me

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by MolaMola, Feb 16, 2016.

1. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

OMG. Most stressful afternoon in ages.
    Reef club students fed 10-yr clownfish pair homemade fish food as usual. Later I saw the female lying motionless, nose down against a powerhead cover intake. As has happened in the past, she had a large or multiple pieces of food in her mouth. I tried to move her but she drifted upside down onto the sandbed! Thank goodness it is a science classroom - my teacher neighbor was leaving, but grabbed tweezers and I held the fish, pried the mouth open and pulled out a lump of hard fish meat! She instantly looked a tiny bit better, but then spent several minutes vertically in the corner, again motionless and appearing paralyzed. So weird to see a clownfish still! Maybe in shock. Left her alone, swished water a few times, added an airstone. Her mate came over a few times. Eventually she swam, rested, swam, regained balance, and moved fins. Looked better an hour later when I left. Hope she is okay in the morning. Now that it's over I'm exhausted! How ridiculous is that?!

2. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Wow, what a scare. So she just eats too much and chokes?

3. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Ha! She choked on a piece of food! What a story.

Glad to hear you were able to save her.

4. Apon

Apon Volunteer

maybe chop the food to smaller size?

5. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

Well, she looks fine today with her jazzy little swim motion. Yikes.
    I will certainly be cutting the food smaller and more carefully in the future! It is frozen homemade food chunks that I cut little pieces off of before thawing. Maybe I will try grating it while frozen.