Kessil

lyretail anthias- feedback?

While watching the Neptunes impressive display tank, which has become part of my habit visiting that store, I got interested in adding some lyretail anthias to my tank. I'm curious as to how people that have them like them- are they hardy? how often do you feed them? Would 1x/ day be enough? Are they aggressive towards other smaller fish in the tank?
I have a 180 and am thinking of getting 3 females & 1 male. It's a peaceful tank so no fish would bully them.

IIRC, Anthias have to be feed pretty often since they don't have stomachs like Goldfish. I don't think feeding them once a day would be enough.

denzil said:
IIRC, Anthias have to be feed pretty often since they don't have stomachs like Goldfish. I don't think feeding them once a day would be enough.

They have small stomachs but IIRC are not devoid of a stomach.

All planktivores have smaller stomachs though and all should be fed multiple times a day.

BAYMAC said:
denzil said:

They have small stomachs but IIRC are not devoid of a stomach.

All planktivores have smaller stomachs though and all should be fed multiple times a day.

Thanks for the clarification.

I had a single lyretail at one time, a male version with the red skin and long spine, really fun fish to look at. I would feed daily, and he seemed to do fine for a few years, however I did (do) have a small fish population (5 fish in 180gallons) so it is conceivable that there was enough "food" in the tank for him to sustain himself. I've always wanted to go with a harem (orange females) because those are the shots of tropical reefs that always impressed me the most 100s of orange buggers swimming around a rock wall or something. He did die of unknown causes, it could have been negligence it may not have been negligence I really don't know. If I were to go again I would definitely go with autofeeders and multiple times per day (I do that now actually), still would have a similar fish/gallon ratio though perhaps run a large refugium in the hopes that "food" does make its way to the tank (although I'm not quite certain you can do that on a large enough scale... although the low fish count certainly helps).

Can't say if he was aggressive towards the smaller fish because the only smaller fish were a couple of Talbot damselfish, which I've heard are a bit more of a mellow fish but they're still damsels

Back