got ethical husbandry?

Macro Algae Ban (not just 9 species of Caulerpa)

I was at All About Fish in Concord yesterday trying to pick up a ball of Cheato and the owner said he could no longer import this or any macro algae from out-of-state. He said there is a new law banning the importation of all macro algae. Can anyone confirm this? I have not seen this story run anywhere. I do know about the 9 species of Caulerpa banned (www.sccat.net), but he stated ALL macro algae. He said it's OK to buy, sell, and posses, but that it cannot be imported.

Well I just checked the latest copy of the Fish and Game Code so let me see if I can cover this. Please note, I am not a lawyer or a warden, just a biologist. There is one code that pertains to importation of aquatic plants and animals, and hobbiests are exempt. I have also included the code regarding caulerpa. I couldn't find anything else that would apply to importation of algae. I checked with a wildlife management co-worker who also happens to be a reefer and she hadn't heard anything about that. She did suggest that perhaps the supplier can not guarantee their cheato doesn't have caulerpa mixed in, or perhaps they just don't want to deal with shipping macro algae to California because they don't know the codes and don't want to risk it. Hopefully All About Fish can share where they obtained this information from, and I'll see if I can find out more from anyone else.

CA FISH & GAME CODE DIVISION 3,
Chapter 3. Importation and Transportation of Live Plants and Animals
Article 3. Aquatic Plants and Animals

2271. (a) No live aquatic plant or animal may be imported into this state without the prior written approval of the department pursuant to regulations adopted by the commission. A written application for the importation, submitted in conformance with the procedural requirements established by the commission, is deemed approved where it has not been denied within 60 days.
(b) This section does not apply to the following plants or animals unless the plants or animals are or may be placed in waters of the
state:
(1) Mollusks.
(2) Crustaceans.
(3) Ornamental marine or freshwater plants and animals that are not utilized for human consumption or bait purposes and are maintained in closed systems for personal, pet industry, or hobby purposes.

(c) The section does not apply to any live aquatic plant or animal imported by a registered aquaculturist.

Chapter 3.5 Aquatic Invasive Species

2300. (a) No person shall sell, possess, import, transport, transfer, release alive in the state, or give away without consideration the salt water algae of the Caulerpa species: taxifolia, cupressoides, mexicana, sertulariodes, floridana, ashmeadii, racemosa, verticillata, and scapelliformis.
(b) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), a person may possess, for bona fide scientific research, as determined by the department, upon
authorization by the department, the salt water algae of the Caulerpa species: taxifolia, cupressoides, mexicana, sertulariodes, floridana, ashmeadii, racemosa, verticillata, and scapelliformis.
(c) In addition to any other penalty provided by law, any person who violates this section is subject to a civil penalty of not less than five hundred dollars ($500) and not more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000) for each violation.

Michael - Cal Dept of Food & Ag (http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/) is who has made these rules in the past, I'd look there rather then CA F&G. CA F&G has very little interaction with our hobby. US F&WS and CDFA are the two main players I dealt with in LFS, and in wholesale. Never really had to deal with CA F&G. Heck, I dealt more with NOAA then even CA F&G.

Yeah, CA F & A are the ones who implemented the hydrilla ban, but CA F&G did do Caulerpa. I have heard unconfirmed rumors of algae and other aquatic plants being caught up in these bans by mistake. I'm not sure who implemented control of Undaria... maybe NOAA, they are at least involved in the removals.

Unfortunately checking with CA F&A involves more than picking up a book off my desk or walking two cubicles down the hall ;). I tried looking for information from CA F&A website but was unable to find anything that seemed relevant. Luckily US F&W is right next door! The only person I know from the invasive species control group wasn't in yesterday, but I'll try and hunt her down today.

I am hoping this is a misunderstanding of some sort, a ban on Chaetomorpha would be unfortunate. In fact, the Southern California Caulerpa Action Team mentioned by OP ( the committee includes members from NMFS, CA F&G, US Agriculture, and a couple water management boards) lists Chaetomorpha as a good alternative in addition to Halimeda, Ulva, Enteromorpha, or Gracilaria. The global Invasive Species Database doesn't list Chaetomorpha at all.

Not_Now_John said:
Yeah, CA F & A are the ones who implemented the hydrilla ban, but CA F&G did do Caulerpa. I have heard unconfirmed rumors of algae and other aquatic plants being caught up in these bans by mistake. I'm not sure who implemented control of Undaria... maybe NOAA, they are at least involved in the removals.

Unfortunately checking with CA F&A involves more than picking up a book off my desk or walking two cubicles down the hall ;). I tried looking for information from CA F&A website but was unable to find anything that seemed relevant. Luckily US F&W is right next door! The only person I know from the invasive species control group wasn't in yesterday, but I'll try and hunt her down today.

I am hoping this is a misunderstanding of some sort, a ban on Chaetomorpha would be unfortunate. In fact, the Southern California Caulerpa Action Team mentioned by OP ( the committee includes members from NMFS, CA F&G, US Agriculture, and a couple water management boards) lists Chaetomorpha as a good alternative in addition to Halimeda, Ulva, Enteromorpha, or Gracilaria. The global Invasive Species Database doesn't list Chaetomorpha at all.

:lol: fixed your post for you :lol: sorry, pet peeve... not italicizing genus & species gets my goat :D

NOAA, US F&WS, CA F&G, CA F&G and a few others did Caluerpa
. It was a multi-agency effort, or so they have touted it over the years. I was dealing with LFS and importing/exporting at the time. We never once received a letter or visit from CA F&G, but CA F&A both sent us a letter and stopped by. SCCAT :lol: sent us some pamphlets to ship with our orders.

You still do not see CA F&G sending agents to LFS... but you do see CA F&A going to LFS, that is my ultimate point. What effects the hobbyist and what agencies over see them are not the same as LFS.

Cheato I doubt is banned by itself, but a blanket ban on LIVE macro-algae imports into the state I could see happening as CA has placed bans on FW plant imports (across the board) at times. I remember FLA not being able to ship to us for a spell. FWIW I have not been informed of this, and I import algae at times.

Then there was the apple snail ban (FW) that effected ALL snails, but not by design. That took a little time to work out.

BAYMAC said:
:lol: fixed your post for you :lol: sorry, pet peeve... not italicizing genus & species gets my goat :D

Yes, not something I'm a fan of not doing, but I couldn't figure out how to put use italics with my phone!

I had no idea CA F&A was so active, I've never seen them outside of a roadblock of some sort. Go figure. They probably just want to look at the pretty fishes instead of some boring food. Thank goodness marine algae propagation isn't much of a problem. So long as possession remains legal (Good luck enforcing that! I know at least one person with Caulerpa (Better? Oh no, too many parentheses, I should leave one unpaired just to really irk someone ;) ) in their tank) it can be passed around easy enough. Maybe someones should start a club or something...

Hopefully a LFS owner or importer will chime in with more info if they have it. If nothing else we do love banning stuff here don't we?

OH, grammer and spelling are useless against me... no pet peeve there :lol:

To italicize, use the italic I in the banner images about the comment window. Likewise you could use the code for it.

I have a couple emails out.

I suspect there is no ban and its an issue with one single supplier. It could be his FLA supplier sent Caulerpa
at one point and was caught. I could see Cali getting down on a single supplier big time.

FWIW I had them enter our LFS twice, but I know of local stores to routinely see them... those stores are heavy into FW plants ;)

BAYMAC said:
JAR said:
Glad your back G man. :)

It's a BAYMAC account so several of us involved in BAYMAC may use it... don't always assume it's me :D

That goes the same for me.
There are several of us. :bigsmile:
I don't think I am capable of 2779 posts all alone. :D

Back