got ethical husbandry?

Macro Algae in the display tank

So who has some sort of macro algae growing in their display tank that is not Caulerpa?
I am contemplating possibly adding a little bit of macro algae to my tank, just to spruce things up a little bit. I also don't want anything that has an invasive reputation, or rampant growth that will smother everything.
Any recommendations? I was thinking a small bunch of Ulva tied down to a small rock.

I have halimeda growing in my display, you can see it on my tank journal. Fast grower though. And I think bluenassarius has a link to a planted marine tank website, which includes a number of macroalgae-fied displays.

haliptilon, botryocladia, halimeda, shaving brush, titanophora. there are many options out there. you just need to make sure there are no predators.. turbo snails, tangs, angels etc.

[quote author=itsacrispy link=topic=5870.msg73877#msg73877 date=1231723251]
I have halimeda growing in my display, you can see it on my tank journal. Fast grower though. And I think bluenassarius has a link to a planted marine tank website, which includes a number of macroalgae-fied displays.
[/quote]

Halimedia is cool, and looks great in the beginning. But under the right conditions, it grows like a beast and robs the tank of its calcium and alkalinity :(

Thanks for the leads Bluenassarius; I'll definitely look into all of those.

[quote author=A_Lee link=topic=5870.msg73880#msg73880 date=1231724564]
[quote author=itsacrispy link=topic=5870.msg73877#msg73877 date=1231723251]
[/quote]

Halimedia is cool, and looks great in the beginning. But under the right conditions, it grows like a beast and robs the tank of its calcium and alkalinity :(

Thanks for the leads Bluenassarius; I'll definitely look into all of those.
[/quote]

Yikes, hadn't thought of that. No wonder my chaeto isn't growing at all!

mmm, I don't think halimedia is nearly as aggressive as chaeto when it comes to nutrient export.
Maybe you're chaeto is not growing much due to low nutrient levels?

Some of the ones I keep..
redalgae.jpg

redbranchingalgae.jpg

shavingbrush.jpg

dragontongue.jpg

IMO Halimeda is not cool, I have it growing all over my rocks, it's a real PITA. It sucks carbonate and calcium like crazy and grows fast enough to smother corals or at best reduces flow to the point where it can cause tissue recession.

I wish I could find something that would eat it and be happy in a smaller tank :p. I'm sick of manual removal.

Yeah, I am totally with you on that one Jeremy ... back in my last 40g I thought it was awesome to have some growing ... it went unchecked for about a month and a half, and it became a total nuisance.

Phong -what macro algae is in the second, third, and last picture you posted?

Sorry I'm suck with names ..

Third is the shaving brush.
Last is the dragon tongue.
Those are common names though... I don't know name of the other two..

Back