High Tide Aquatics

Macro Coupler

kinetic

Supporting Member
Just received my macro coupler yesterday, but haven't been able to play with it a lot yet.

I mounted a 50mm f/1.8 reverse onto the end of my 105mm macro, and WOW it was amazing.

I had to put the aperture to 1.8 for the 50mm naturally, and then focused all the way out to infinity. The best I could do with the macro was hit 1:1.5. I could basically see the hair fibers on a strawberry.

I'm still getting used to the settings, like what to do with my macro lens and the 50mm to get the best macro shot. I have to get insanely close to the subject though =/

I'll post more results tonight.

You're actually looking at 2.1:1 magnification rates vs. 1:1.5.

For lens reversal, it's:

lens used/reversed lens used (105/50 in this case)

1:1.5 isn't really even macro in most senses (exception would be the 70-180mm micro, which does 1:2; half reproduction size, but w/the 5T it becomes 1:1).

You might want to take a look at some sort of protection for the back end of the 50mm lens. There's an attachment where it will allow you to screw a filter onto the backend and it isn't expensive at all (52mm filters are cheap).

yeah I meant my 105mm was at 1:1.5, though I didn't know how to do all the conversions to take into account the reversed 50mm. Thanks for the clarification =)

Where can I find the attachment? I've searched a bit without any luck =/

I have a handful of 52mm filters, so if I can just screw it on to protect the back element, that'd be great.

thanks!!

Got the coupler attachment from B&H awhile back. I forgot what it was called. I'll dig it out and see if there's anything written on it to figure out which part it is.

Found it. :)

The part that you need is the BR3 ring made by Nikon.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=37172&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Here's what it looks like with the 50mm lens (top image is all 3 parts; left bottom is the 52mm macro coupler, bottom right is w/macro coupler and reverse mount bayonet with cap on top).
BR3.jpg

A bit late on the 50 1.4D. I had an extra lens awhile back and shipped that one to my buddy in Hawaii.

Yup! I actually picked up photography after I split up w/my last girlfriend. It's amazing how much money I actually saved. :D

More macro stacking.
stacked.jpg

stacked2.jpg

Don't try this one w/some cameras. D2 bodies have metal mounts.
stacked3.jpg

wow that last one is impressive. Lots of TC's? Maybe extension tubes?

hehe.

D70 and D80's have metal mounts too. I'm not sure about d40 / d50's. I know some lenses have plastic mounts though, like the 18-135mm kit lens.

Both; last one is Nikon 105mm VR lens coupled to 1.4x TC and finally 68mm of Kenko extension tubes. I have other TCs as well, but the 1.4x TC was already on there.

D70 and D80 do have metal mounts, but what's holding the mounts on the body isn't really sturdy. I would proceed with caution.

interesting, I should look into that. I figured the d80 mounts were the same as d200 =/

but i mean, the 70-200mm and other lenses are way heavier... and they stay on a d70/80 without a problem. I'm thinking maybe the sigzilla 300-500 f/2.8 may actually cross the line ;)

They're okay on the camera by themselves, but when you're putting the weight out there on the edge, it changes things.

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=1861.msg17870#msg17870 date=1174933084]
Both; last one is Nikon 105mm VR lens coupled to 1.4x TC and finally 68mm of Kenko extension tubes. I have other TCs as well, but the 1.4x TC was already on there.

D70 and D80 do have metal mounts, but what's holding the mounts on the body isn't really sturdy. I would proceed with caution.
[/quote]

Any images from this combo? Thanks!

Back