High Tide Aquatics

Macro Lense Advice Needed

patchin

Supporting Member
Theresa gave me a Tamron 60MM macro lense for my bday today. She went to Keeble and Schuket(sp?) and this is the one they suggested. Personally, I would have chosen a 95 or 100 mm lense. The lense would be for corals and flowers. Opinions????

I'm not an photo expert, maybe one can chime in here. I have the tamron 90mm and like it. there are times when I want an even closer up pic that I think a 60mm would be better. It' probably depends on how close you take your coral pics. Try it out and see how it works for you is my advice, then decide if you want to go a different route.

I have Tamron 90mm and it is great. You can see my pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zepplock/tags/90mm/
It looks and feels a bit "plasticky" but I never had any issues with it and it is priced very competitively.

Alternative would be Nikon 105mm, either new with VR or older non-VR (better value)

Awesome picture Vlad :)

Patchin, what camera body are you using this lens on?

I do not have any personal experience with the Tamron 60 mm macro. Speaking solely from a "focal length" point of view however, 60 mm is a very capable FL to work with. Granted, it will not provide you the same magnification as a 90, 100, or 105 mm, you can still do plenty with 60 mm. And if you can't get close enough, cropping is a solution for some.

If you have never tried macro photography, I might suggest keeping your new lens for a little bit, and shooting around with it. See if macro photography is really something you would want to invest more in. Some people may advise otherwise -and just ditch the 60 mm, and leap for something in the 90-105 range, and that is fine too. It is really your call. Though, I might also add that you don't have much to lose by keeping it for a little bit, and giving it a little play time.

Also, consider what you may be using the lens for other than macro photography. "Macro" lenses can be used for everyday picture taking, simply treat them as a regular prime lens. Personally, I don't use my macro for anything but macro work because 100 mm is too long a FL for me. I'd rather use the 60 mm FL for everyday shooting. Again, that is me.
Just something to consider.

I used my 60mm for everyday shooting, awesome glass and still great for macros.

It doesn't give you more magnification. A true macro lens gets you to 1:1 magnification.

What the 90-105mm lens gets over the 60mm lens is working distance (the distance between the subject to the sensor of the camera). In other words, to get the same magnification, with the 90mm lens, you're looking at 10-11" away from the subject versus something like 6" or so with the 60mm. This can come into play when you're trying not to spook your subjects (certain fish, definitely bugs).

Back