Our mission

Mag racks, finally!

No friggen way.... I know some one that used to work there and may still :lol:

Having the lower support should limit those accidental "heavy" frag disc dumps to a minimum. My standard racks do fine with light loads but dump the entire contents when loaded beyond that magic weight number.

screebo said:
Having the lower support should limit those accidental "heavy" frag disc dumps to a minimum. My standard racks do fine with light loads but dump the entire contents when loaded beyond that magic weight number.

Yea, those gussets Jess created were a great idea. I bet that rack glows with the actinics on. 8)

Heh, I've had the rack in the tank since I took those photos and it's loaded up with frags and frags on top of frags with no problems. The trusses have worked as designed, to prevent dumps, and also to allow the rack to hold up a ton of frags with as few magnets as possible - magnets are NOT cheap! :D

CHEAPER?! Idunno bout you but when I find them, good cleaning magnets tend to run at least $15 retail ... there's about $4 worth of magnets on my version.

Personally I like acrylic racks better than eggcrate. Eggcrate gets dirtier and when you want to clean it you have to clean in between each square. :(

Hey, nice project. I am really curious about the magnets you used for this; are they plastic-encased? Rare Earth? Where'd you get them? :)

I am thinking of making a small modification to a skimmer and need to find magnets to use; something like Aqua-Mags (which I use already) but thinner and without the rough finish on the inside piece. Thanks for any info.

The inside magnets are ceramic, they're not plastic-encased or anything, and won't rust or dissolve in the tank. I dunked one side of each ceramic magnet with some plasti-dip because their edges can be rough as well.

The drawback to the ceramic magnets is that they're not nearly as strong as the neodymium magnets - but they're strong enough to hold stuff up if they're paired up with a neo magnet on the outside of the tank. I haven't personally had any corrosion problems with the nickel-plated neo magnets getting a little splash on occasion, but I imagine it happens.

Or get a couple Mag-Clips from Zoomed :)

4tk2FLYX9bNa-RL7wpBIr4NQGeZ8jRO3HrRCCRjj-v12vgdbOGWF44rXYZfUjZSMWqgbbdkJaRX25Q16JyH4sqOGXUq-ZoWvCX-awFMczf1BbV_dMef6DRgREpBxoiFeF0LRANZndzU1jDFHXfb9iY6SCCLUM0p6GsKFrCgTwwwXj93nvZkOgGC_FZLVjNxjfj4a_MqLk47_MldYXzW8o4UeCR0

Found a store that sells nickel coated neodymium magnets for very cheap and I'm going to see about getting them encased in acrylic or something.

Tamazula said:
Found a store that sells nickel coated neodymium magnets for very cheap and I'm going to see about getting them encased in acrylic or something.

You can buy dipping plastic/rubber coating from HD/Lowes etc. A few have done it and it's worked well from what I hear. I'm going to give it a shot once mine come in.

... I really don't think it's necessary to coat the neo magnets for dry-side applications. Get a few spares, and if by some odd chance you need to swap them out once a year (mine have been on the tank 6months with no signs of wear yet), that's much less hassle than fighting with resins and molds and stuff.

fwiw

Back