Jestersix

Magnetic Frag Rock - Now that's cool!!

One tunze magnet is like 35 do two is about 70. Base on the magnet holder for the ATO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

found this video a little rough but you get the point then just get some magnets and epoxy to the back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Magnets are like 10$ for a pack of like 20 I figure 4 magnets each rack and you can easily get 4 racks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

It definitely depends on the kind of magnet you get as to the price. Aside from that, you have to make certain that you coat it well with epoxy. I've heard they can leech elements into the water.

It definitely depends on the kind of magnet you get as to the price. Aside from that, you have to make certain that you coat it well with epoxy. I've heard they can leech elements into the water.

This. I was having some basal colors which was off (bleached white even though the base polyps were there) as well as some odd off colors from my sps even when parameters were checking out. Something was off and I took a look at my magnets in the tank and everything checked out. What I didn't notice was that the magnet on my dosing line and ATO line holder had cracked.

Didn't do a Triton test, but removed the offending magnet and did a large water change. That seems to have helped and hopefully the last time that I see the issue.

Sucker was encased, but that didn't seem to help.

upload_2017-5-16_13-44-53.png

Eric: Looks similar to those maxi-jet magnets (forget the actual name) somehow water leeches inside (crap glue job sealing?) and then they expand, ruined magnet... the upside is you can swap the inside and outside ones and you're good to go again :D

Nah, that one was just used to hold the dosing lines and the ATO line. I swapped it out for a full acrylic one with nylon screws instead.

The Neptune probe holder seems to be faring much better (orange magnet in the pic near the tunze ATO pump).

I like the idea of the frag mag rock but I frequently bump into my frag racks doing tank maintenance and just wonder if it would mean a falling rock in my tank...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use ceramic magnet for my diy frag rack, only down side is it's a tad weak, so i have to move slowly if i want to relocate the rack. but so far magnet doesn't rust or acting up.

I like the idea of the frag mag rock but I frequently bump into my frag racks doing tank maintenance and just wonder if it would mean a falling rock in my tank...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, you do have to be careful if your glass is thick. I usually replace the external magnet and upgrade to a larger neodymium magnet which does help quite a bit.

Back