Reef nutrition

Majano wand/aiptasia zapper

Coral reefer

Past President
Has anybody tried one first hand? Considering buying one to give it a whirl...have a couple tanks it would be nice for. I remember somebody on here had a home made one, can't remember who though...

I have on that I am about to write up in the next couple weeks. It is not a magic bullett, but it is a nice addition to the toolbox.

This could be a tool in BAR's lending repository, available for a member to use for a set period of time then pass on to the next member. Anyone interested in this type of arrangement?

Like most cures for aiptasia, they don't work forever, however kind of like coraline algae that grows on your glass it simply is put as a part of the maintenance schedule for your tank to take care of a few before they grow out of control, and if using a zapper works about the same as filling a syringe with kalk paste, or magic formula X, then rock on!

That said, I wouldn't mind a borrowing program, hell maybe even go so far as to say "I got a few aiptasia, anyone in San Francisco with the wand wanna come over for 20 minutes to deal with them"

The best thing I've ever tried were peppermint shrimps...but only some of them. Then they die like jerks for some reason.

Second best is just using Aiptasia-X on them. I'll put it on 100 of them and 30 will die. Then I'll put it on the remaining 70 and 20 will die, etc, etc. until I CAN'T SEE THEM, but they are there. behind rocks there are monsters waiting to spawn.

They don't actually bug me so much when they are not in the process of killing something else.

Vincerama2 said:
The best thing I've ever tried were peppermint shrimps...but only some of them. Then they die like jerks for some reason.

If they're so great, why are they dead? :bigsmile:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I have a majano wand also seem to work good. Just hard sometime to get into area since the wand is so long. Otherwise works and just melts them away. If anyone in north bay that need to use just pm me

My review on the Majano Wand

I bought one a few weeks ago, and have used is several times now, and looked at results after a week or so.
Tested mostly on Majanos, I do not have hardly any Aptasia.

It definitely kills on contact, but does take a bit of effort.
The device works by electrolysis, essentially metling/burning what it touches.
As you touch and poke the Majano, it turns white, and disintigrates.
My estimate is 5-15 seconds per Majano, depending on size.
Key is to poke and grind away at it, to make sure it all disintegrates.
It does produce quite a few bubbles, but no big deal there.
You get some twisted satisfaction out of the process as well. :mad:

If you get the entire Majano, it does not seem to grow back.

But that brings me to the BIG problem : Getting the entire Majano, or Aptasia.
Both will try to scrunch up and hide when you first touch them.
Aptasia in particular are really fast at that.
If they are partly in a rock crevice, you are out of luck.
You can poke and prod a bit, but once the needle hits the rock, I think it shorts a bit,
and becomes far less effective.
And of course - most Aptasia and Majanos are in rock crevices.
If you do not get most of it, it grows back quickly.

Big plus though:
You can carefully kill a Majano/Aptasia that is growing in between Zoas, Palys, or other sensitive corals.
In fact, even if you accidentally hit coral, it seems to have little effect.
So much better than chemicals there.

Another issue is that the wand is straight, with only a slight bend at the end.
This is rather limiting in tight spots.
Also, the wand is big. Good for my big tank, but might be an issue for others.

Overall:
Far better than trying to remove Majanos manually.
For Majanos next to sensitive corals : About the only solution.
For mostly exposed Majanos, a very good solution. Better than chemicals.
For Majanos tucked in rock crevices, basically fails.

So helpful in general.
But you probably still need Joes Juice/chemicals at times.
And I still like Peppermint shrimp for reducing the problem.
At over $100, not clear if it is worth it.

The best solution I've found is a crapton of Peppermint Shrimps + kalk paste in a syringe. Kalk paste seems to work 100% of the time, it's super cheap and it sticks to their mouths like nobody's business.

The best solution I've found is a crapton of Peppermint Shrimps + kalk paste in a syringe. Kalk paste seems to work 100% of the time, it's super cheap and it sticks to their mouths like nobody's business.

Was wondering where do i get kalk paste and syringe?

Sent from my LG-V909 using Tapatalk 2

Pharmacy, or you can use eye droppers and mix a thick paste to cover the aiptasia.

Disconnect you pumps so you don't just blast the newly placed paste all around your tank.

After 15 min to 1/2 hour restart pumps.

Back