got ethical husbandry?

Making an overflow

I'm gonna redo my overflow. Currently I am using a 2" PVC pipe with holes drilled in the top for the overflow. I want to redo it and cut slots in the top. I tried a dremel but it only melted the plastic. I'm thinking a bandsaw is what I need to use. Does anyone have any recommendations for cutting slots in PVC and where can I rent or use the necessary tools? I heard of places like the berkeley tool coop that let you borrow tools, do they have bandsaws or is there any places like that in the south bay?

Thanks

Table saw is best IME for cutting those slots. Do them at diagonal though, not up and down. This creates a vortex and allows less "burping", or at least it has with every project I have used it with (multiple wholesale facility builds)

FWIW I now don't do that and use gutter guard mesh (3/4") from OSH/HD to cover my OF.

Excellent, my first idea was a table saw. And good idea for the gutter mesh. Any place I can just go and use a table saw? Are the demo models at lowes plugged in?

edit:
Anyone in the south bay got a table saw I can come over and use? I promise I won't sue if I cut off all my digits.

Max @ The Aquarium Showroom may help you... he's got one onsite.

GreshamH said:

I did buy my ADA tank and stand from him. But I see the conversation happening something like this:

Me: Gresham said I could use your table saw.
Max: LOL no get out.

Thanks, I will check with them tomorrow.

r0ck0 said:
GreshamH said:

I did buy my ADA tank and stand from him. But I see the conversation happening something like this:

Me: Gresham said I could use your table saw.
Max: LOL no get out.

Thanks, I will check with them tomorrow.

I suggested that is a place to look... IF you use my name do not say I said you could use it. Max will know that is a lie ;)

How about a handsaw (unpowered hand saw, the kind that hillbillies use to make twangy music with) or a hacksaw?

Alternately, you could get a thin piece of plastic sheet (like a beer cup) cut it into a rectangle, cut slots with a pair of scissors and then glue/tape it to the top of the pipe (like a crown) or something like that.

Look into a "durso" or "stockman" (is that the name? Stockman?) overflow pipe.

V

Back