Kessil

Making your own glass tank..

Anyone here dare enough to make a big tank themself? I helped my friend redo a 120G glass tank before. It was our first and we didn't do a really good job (there are quite a few bubbles on the seams) but it seems ok for over 2 years now. I don't see a different between making a brand new tank and redo an old one.

I'm thinking about getting the glass cut and make me a ~150G (48x30x24). Am I crazy??

No, it should be just like making a smaller tank (which I've done many, many times). If you have any questions, just shoot me a pm.-Jim

What kind of silicone that you used Jim? I like to use the black kind. Thanks!

Thanks Jeremy.. Hopefully he will give me some feedback on the thread so everyone can learn.

I need to find a place that can cut the glass for me for a good price..

hehehe.. I actually want the OF box at the end not the back. The tank will be a peninsula/inwall tank. How did you do on the silicone job? Any bubble at the seams??

did the water test yet? Did you use clear or black silicone? I read that clear silicone is stronger than the colored ones.

i have tested it it was sitting in my garage for like 3 weeks full of water. i used black silicone. and ive never heard of black silicone being weaker then clear silicone. i would think 100% silicone black or clear would be the same. the stuff i used is scs1200 by ge. stuff is really strong.

I saw a thread on RC saying that tank maker use black silicone for the sides but clear for the bottom because clear is stronger.. I will try to find that thread.. Of course you can't believe everything on RC :D ..

Here you go...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1678011

Also, did you do the sides around the bottom or on top?

My 4 sided-starfire rimless tank from Miracles uses all black silicone, including the bottom. It's tiny compared to what you're looking at building though, but if IIRC the larger tanks that were delivered at the same time also uses black silicone (60g, 150g, 200g).

Back