Our mission

Mangrove starts

JAR

I have about 75 mangrove starts to give away to BAR members.
I picked these up on the beach on a recent trip.
You can be hip like me and grow them right out of your tank or your fuge or just stick em in a pot next to your tank.

Rules: (not really any)
Must have a green thumb or blue, brown,white, yellow, red, black,purple OK ... any color thumb qualifies :D
Must take 3 or 5 mangrove starts.
Must pick up at my house (Tank tour) or Dec BAR meeting.
Must keep them from freezing or burning.
Must take a tropical vacation during the life of the mangrove.(don't worry, they live a long time)
Must try to pass them along to another reefer if you bail on the hobby or get tired if them.
If mine perish then, well, I'll get more on a tropical vacation.

Gresham, Done... BTW the sport crabbing is excellent! go get some!!!!
Next.
Still have 75 for normal BAR members. ;) LOL

How much room do they need to grow? They export a sh*t ton of nutrients, correct? Would they survive in a sump under the tank with a CFL light?

Mine are happily living in my sump now, wedged between some LR and stretching toward the 6100K CF reflector bulb. Every day I check for signs of new growth continuing. They are getting used to their new home right now, pics to follow.
LIke Jeremy, I'm a heavy feeder so I'm sure, based on what the skimmer gets, that they ought to thrive in my system.

Oh yeah, I have booked an Earthwatch expedition in the Amazon river basin of Peru for next Spring. We'll be studying native wildlife and it's relationship with the indigenous population "up river" This has been an ongoing study for two decades. Hope this will count toward the tropical "vacation"DBTC requirement.:bigsmile: It will be more work than vacation. Our base of operation will be a restored 1900's Rubber Boon 3 deck river boat.

Thanks, Jon. :star:

I need to get a weekend off so I can come up and go out on your boat... I NEED crab & some damn fish!!!

Not sure how much truth there is to it (vague memory on a vague reference), but I recall something about Mangroves consuming a fair bit of Mg. If true, not sure if it is enough to be concerned at all about.

It's pretty darn true but not enough to be of real concern for us.

Do mangroves need some type of substrate to sit in? (sand, mud, etc). i was thinking of having some in my new tank that i am currently planning out.

yes and no. If they micro roots get constantly disturbed they will perish. I've found they do much better with substrate.

I've had success with Mangrove growing tons of roots in a hang on back medium CPR fuge w/o substrate. Over about a year, the roots took over most of the 'fuge, making for good 'pod habitat.

Back