Neptune Aquatics

[Mar 14, 2015] Members Frag Swap and General Membership Meeting (Hayward, CA)

*** Please note that event details may change at any time so please check back often ***
FSbannerz.jpg

We're excited to announce BAR's Annual (Supporting) Members only frag swap in March. This event is intended to encourage the propagation, sharing, and 'backing up' of corals throughout the reefing community. The frag swap is a great way to promote the spirit of generosity in support of the hobby and all of its enthusiasts. Come on by for a good fun time!

The swap is open to all BAR (Supporting) Members. We welcome all newbies and experienced experienced members to join this event. If you're not a member, now's the time to become one! Come meet and hang out with your fellow hobbyists. You'll have the opportunity to share and enjoy the diversity of corals being successfully grown by your fellow reefers. You can also learn more about how to care for the corals you pick and the corals you currently have.

Exact Room Location: Park at North Parking Lot (aka B12). Walk to "2300 building". Room 2338.

Map.jpg Click Picture to see Room Location​

smalltest.png
Frag Swap format:

• Three or more different strains of corals must be brought; not following this requirement will delay your registration process in favor of those who are prepared
  • At registration, your corals will be checked to see if they meet the requirements below; upon approval, you will receive a name tag labeled with the group letter you have drawn
  • Get your frag(s) on the table.
    • 3 Categories: Soft Corals, Large Polyp Stony (LPS), and Small Polyp Stony (SPS)
    • If you're not sure what class of coral you have, please ask someone
  • Group letters are called similar to a "Snake Draft"; A, B, C, ..., Z, Z, ..., C, B, A, A, ...
  • During the first round of picking you will have a three minutes to select one coral

smallinstru.png
Requirements:

• Must be a Supporting Member (if you're not a member, become one by clicking here!)
  • Frags must be housed in transparent, plastic deli containers with transparent lids (Smart & Final is the place to go)
    • *You do not have to be a Supporting Member to attend/observe/hang out. Although raffle, auctions, game, food, frag swapping is limited to Supporting Members as the membership fees are what pay for these components of our events.
  • Frags must be properly labeled
    • Your forum handle (so that you can be contacted if the new owner has questions)
    • Coral type (and common/slang name, if it has one)
    • Lights used
  • If you need plastic deli containers and/or labels, we can provide those to you at a nominal fee of $2 each deli container and label pair
  • Frags in poor condition or freshly cut will not be allowed and does not follow our mission; let's be responsible BAR members and only provide high quality corals to our fellow members :)
  • Ineligible corals are as follows:
ineligible_corals_v3.jpg

ticket.png
Raffle Prizes:

• Every supporting member gets 1 free raffle ticket upon entering.
  • No raffle tickets will be sold, meaning equal chance of winning for everyone.
  • Raffle format will be limited to a winner chooses basis. In other words if your ticket is called you get to choose one prize donated by the Event Sponsors.
smallauct.png
Silent Auction:

• Some donations from the Event Sponsors will be put up for auction.
  • Silent auction means you bid against other BAR members on paper for what you want.
  • At the end of the event, the highest bid takes home the prize. (Must be present to receive prize).
smallgames.png
Game

• There will be one short game at the event for one of the prizes.
star.png
Event Sponsors Donations

• The following vendors will be sponsoring this frag swap event and have generously donated corals, fish, inverts, or equipment for use in the auction/prizes.
smallfood.png
Food/Drinks

• There will be a limited supply of Pizza and Sodas at this event.

Tips for this event:
  • The Room Number is 2338. Remember this! It'll be like looking for a classroom on a college campus because well that's what it is.
  • Arrive on time! If you show up outside of the registration period, you'll automatically be added to the last picking group
  • Chabot College charges $2 for parking. Please support our venue and purchase a daily parking permit from one of the machines in the parking lots.
  • Bring a flashlight (simulate as best as you can to your tank lighting)
  • Familiarize yourself with the types of corals you're interested in
  • Ask fellow members about corals you have questions about and share your knowledge
  • Please treat all corals that you select at the swap as if they are infected with the worst possible pests by dipping your corals with your preferred coral dip of choice.
  • If you're looking for frag packing tips, look no further!
Event Timeline:
1:00 - 1:30 PM - Registration
Silent Auction Begins
1:45 PM (or sooner) - Frag swap begins
3:00 PM - Frag swap concludes (if it hasn't ended earlier)
Raffles Begin
Mini Game
Silent Auctions End
General Membership Meeting Begins

Last edited by a moderator:
In case you haven't heard, there will be free raffles for the awesome corals, fish and dry goods donated by our generous local fish store sponsors. I've also received interest from other groups wanting to donate for the event.

Raffle-Ticket.jpg

It's going to be a fun event guys! Bring your lucky rabbit's foot. :D

Denzil,

The first 4 links to the ineligible corals are all the same link (Waving Hand - Anthelia)

Thanks and cant wait to go to my 1st frag swap

As a newbie to reefing in the Bay, I don't really have much I can frag yet. If I only bring one or two frags, can I be included in the last round or something? Alternatively, is there any way that I can come to the frag swap and buy some of the leftovers? I'd like to participate in some way, but I don't think I'll be able to bring three frags by March 14th.

As a newbie to reefing in the Bay, I don't really have much I can frag yet. If I only bring one or two frags, can I be included in the last round or something? Alternatively, is there any way that I can come to the frag swap and buy some of the leftovers? I'd like to participate in some way, but I don't think I'll be able to bring three frags by March 14th.

I have a similar situation. Can I just put $$$ in a clear frag cup? :-/

Gabe, no worries if you dont have enough frags, im sure someone here will give you a frag to join in on the fun. If they dont, you can have some of mine to use in the swap. Just remind me before the event.

We want to get you newbies hooked on these events! That way you can help someone else later down the road and also contribute corals.

No you cannot substitute coral frags for money in a cup :) Buying frags (preferably from our sponsors) for use in the swap is fine.

**Remember folks, although this is not a requirement, we're trying to improve the quality of corals going into the swap. Give quality corals to promote future contributions of quality corals.

Sick or unhealthy corals should not be brought to the swap. Bring the type/quality corals you would like to receive from the swap. If you don't like the coral you plan on bringing to the swap, ask yourself if someone else would like it.

Last edited:
This might be a stupid question....but do you want monti's to be mounted to a plug, or can these be loose in the container?

Buying frags for use in the swap is completely fine. Theres no way for anyone to know u bought it from a store. Once you bought it, its your property and qualifies for the swap (assuming its a healthy coral not on the ban list)

@jonmos75 Frags do not have to be mounted on a plug for the swap. You can mount it if you wish.

Denzil,

The first 4 links to the ineligible corals are all the same link (Waving Hand - Anthelia)

Thanks and cant wait to go to my 1st frag swap
Thanks for the heads up... somehow got mangled in the copy-paste... I suppose the old thread I copied it from had the same problem too. Thanks for noticing it and bringing it to my attention! :)

Interesting idea of hosting the swap on the same day - I kind of like that as it will benefit regulars and make others pick their poison.

If you plan on going or think you may attend - Frag now!

I'm a 50/50, ok a 25/75 but I got my hands wet and fragged a few just in case:
Red Dragon
Setosa
Rastas
AC War <-- Super old school one
Tyree War
Rainbow Palys (5 color? Raptor Rainbows? IDK the name)

Open to some trades if I end up not making it to the swap - Chalices & Sticks.

Sweet ahruk and I are bringing:

Pink Hippo Zoas
Pink hallucination Zoa
Blondies bbeb Zoas
Fluorescent blue Zoas (better than miami vice)
Wild green acro similar to a tort
Green pavona
Green birds nest (teal color)

Also bringing some chaeto algae.

Anyone want me to bring rastas as well?

IMG_9852.jpg

Back