Jestersix

Marc's ADA 60P build

Well I've seen a lot of snake oil in the hobby, mind you I'm not calling Dr Tim's stuff snake oil. Just having never used it I don't understand how it does what it does, hence witch doctory!

Fantastic!

Probably nothing to skim at this point. Also it takes some time for the skimmer to break in.

How are you cycling? I and others have used Dr. Tim's 'One and Only' successfully. In addition to the bacteria, you'll need a source of ammonia. A fish (some consider this cruel), chunk of raw table shrimp, or direct addition of ammonium chloride all work.

Hum? Yes add some foam under the sump. You might also add something where the return line goes thru the back of the stand. In one of the pics I see it looks like it's touching the back. Other good places are under the return pump and under the skimmer. Good luck with the hum hunt!

I found some cheap silicone hot pads that I cut up for padding/vibration suppression.

And finally, did you forget how to use a camera? :D

Where are the pictures???
I'm not really doing anything additional to let the tank cycle. Just letting it run for the time being and getting all the plumbing stuff in order like the ATO. I have some questions on that later regarding salinity...

I'll add some foam this weekend. Not really sure where to get some ATM. Can the silicon pads be put into the sump under the pump?

The skimmer might simply be having a break in period, I wouldn't worry too much as long as the water level in the chamber the skimmer is in remains constant you should be fine. What I would do if lower the foam level just so it doesn't overflow too many times, let it break in with the rest of the tank since you don't have anything that really needs to skim out.

NO ammonia after how long? 24 hours? Not too surprising, you need to have the whole range of build up/break down of bacteria to get it. New tanks with no dead life in it at all? No ammonia is not surprising. Back in the day we used to use a damsel to cycle our tank because screw him it's $3.99 for a fish we get instant gratification and they're tough as nails... but nowadays we tend to think a little more... compassionate about the animals in our tank (plus we don't want to fish out a damsel later on if he starts bullying everything in sight!). Your live sand should kick off the cycle process since not everything in there actually survived I'm sure, it just might take a little while to get started.

The way you need to think about it is that every dry space that's touching water from the sides of the tank, all the plastic inside the pipes, every nook and cranny in the foam and filter socks need to get coated in bacteria. Now your live sand you added is a good source, however you also don't have much "food" for said bacteria in the tank, so some of that will die, which will make ammonia which will become food for other bacteria, which will etc... I've never used what John mentioned "Dr Tims" witch doctory in a bottle?? so I can't comment on how useful it is. I've had enough decaying matter on my "live" rock that there was plenty of ammonia to kick start the process.

Yes the water level in the sump area where the skimmer sits is constant. I'm a bit concerned because the skimmer is very erratic in its performance IMO. For example the collection cup was completely full last night over flowing with water. Is this some normal? What is normal behavior of a skimmer during the break in period? Ive never used a skimmer so this is really my first time setting one up.

As for fish...is there one that's hardy that could be good for a small tank that I can keep?

Quick and dirty pictures before work- I gotta get some loc line for the return.

Opinions? I may break those rocks up a bit more.

B274F3A7-7177-47B3-A83D-4D3DC10CCB44_zpstkqnx6ks.jpg

46E07874-723E-49EA-975C-AB2A130227B1_zpsindaz9mo.jpg

If you're skimmer cup is overflowing it could be either getting overloaded with nutrients or the level is set to high on it. If you just cycling the tank, I would keep the skimmer adjusted to a low level so that there's no chance in hell at overflowing. When your tank gets populated then you can readjust as necessary.

As to the fish, something like a chromis or damsel would be hardy and appropriately sized for the tank, just note that many damsels have a reputation to be very mean.

I skimmed (pun?) back thru the posts and didn't see anything about the rocks. Are they 'live' rock? If they are, they will provide enough life to cycle the tank.

What fish have you considered for the tank? Mike listed the two typical break in fish but perhaps you don't want them in that tank.

I agree, cut back on skimming for now. Let it run to break in but don't worry about output now. Let the cycling bacteria grow.

Very clean Marc. Nice!
Thanks Kris - Loving your tank BTW. Its a BEAST!

I skimmed (pun?) back thru the posts and didn't see anything about the rocks. Are they 'live' rock? If they are, they will provide enough life to cycle the tank.

What fish have you considered for the tank? Mike listed the two typical break in fish but perhaps you don't want them in that tank.

I agree, cut back on skimming for now. Let it run to break in but don't worry about output now. Let the cycling bacteria grow.

Hey John,

I got the Rock from Neptunes- I guess they use to be live, but Robert told me they have been dried out and cured. They have this sorta purple colration to them. Coralline algae?

As for the fish - My wife and kids definitely wants a pair for clown fish. So I see them and anemone in the tank. I wouldnt mind having chromis in the tank. But are they hard to catch if I decide to trade them in? How do you guys feel about Banggai cardinalfish? okay in a small tank down the line? Its awesome they are now tank bred.

Ive cut the skimmer back. Seems to be behaving more properly recently.

If you're skimmer cup is overflowing it could be either getting overloaded with nutrients or the level is set to high on it. If you just cycling the tank, I would keep the skimmer adjusted to a low level so that there's no chance in hell at overflowing. When your tank gets populated then you can readjust as necessary.

As to the fish, something like a chromis or damsel would be hardy and appropriately sized for the tank, just note that many damsels have a reputation to be very mean.

Yeah Ive cut it back. I hope it doesnt give me problems later. But you guys sound confident it'll be fine =)

Banggai are great, and 2 or 3 should do fine in your tank. Look for tank-bred (not tank-raised) as they are now an endangered species. I am likely to add some to my tank as well. They need meaty foods like frozen mysids, but the clowns do too.

2/3/14
Took another ammonia test today. Reading about .25 ppm of ammonia.

I'm using an API test kit. I've always used it for fresh water. With salt, the second set of drops seem to coagulate and turn the test solution opaque in color after i shake. This seem normal?

2/3/14
Took another ammonia test today. Reading about .25 ppm of ammonia.

I'm using an API test kit. I've always used it for fresh water. With salt, the second set of drops seem to coagulate and turn the test solution opaque in color after i shake. This seem normal?

Yes, with saltwater the API test turns to goop when you add "Part 2" solution. Also, the API test is notoriously difficult to read with saltwater. If it looks like .25 ppm, it's probably actually zero.

2/9/14
Got the lights hung today and got some snails and hermit crabs to help cycle the tank.
Sorry for the crappy phone picture!
ED54415A-3C68-42D3-BC2B-9DF26AF1D766_zpsegwajsj1.jpg

My first favorite coral!!! Got it at the swap this weekend.
Yellow Toadstool Leather Coral
B2448A4C-C36C-4F81-88B5-6C7DEEF0DD62_zpseuc4hu14.jpg

2/24/2014

Tank update:
No more ammonia in the tank but I suspect nitrite and nitrate now in the tank.
Battling some brown algae in the tank. Some stringy stuff growing on the glass and diatoms on the sand. Ive lowered the intensity of the lights as well as reduce the total time the lights are on. I also notice the water has a slight brown color. This normal?

Equipment update:

Skimmer is operating as it should. I wish the collection cup was a bit bigger though.

I also just got my apex controller. Ive got the pH probe calibrated. Having trouble setting up the email notifications but I am able to see the apex through my home network wired. For the amount this controller cost I wish it came with wifi built in. What are you guys using to enable the apex controller for wifi?

Wishlist: I need a powerhead in the tank. Some snail poop collecting on the rocks.

Everything looks great! That rock looks like real reef rock?

Algae is normal, its just being fueled right now by the die off from the cycle and the lighting. It will pass with time and water changes. As for the water clarity are you running any carbon at all?

For a power head you might really like the WP-10 or WP-25 for that tank.

Everything looks great! That rock looks like real reef rock?

Algae is normal, its just being fueled right now by the die off from the cycle and the lighting. It will pass with time and water changes. As for the water clarity are you running any carbon at all?

For a power head you might really like the WP-10 or WP-25 for that tank.

I got the rocks from Neptunes and since I didn't need very much, it wasn't too bad for the price. I was told by Rob that it originally was alive then they dry cure it.

I'm keeping up with the WC to keep macros in check.

I not using any carbon but I am using some purigen. But I'm vet surprised because it doesn't seem to have any effect on the tank. Usually in my FW tanks, it's night and day difference. Do you think the carbon will do better?

Who makes the wp-10?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I not using any carbon but I am using some purigen. But I'm vet surprised because it doesn't seem to have any effect on the tank. Usually in my FW tanks, it's night and day difference. Do you think the carbon will do better?

Running some activated carbon will help keep the water clearer and help remove odors. I keep purigen and some carbon in my system usually without any problems. I'm not sure the purigen is terribly effective in SW. It takes a few months for mine to start getting even a hint of brown.

If you want crystal clear water you may want to start carbon dosing. Vinegar may be the best to start since you would need to add larger amounts and it's harder to overdose. Here's some information on carbon dosing:

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/carbon-dosing-in-laymans-terms/

Back